L28 Free mods?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any real power increase takes skill, knowledge, and money to make it happen.

Removing smog equipment off the stock engine doesn't make it faster. That stuff mostly only made the exhaust cleaner on the cold startup.

You can take off some minimal weight. Remove the A/C pump and bracket (belt too). That will reduce drag on the engine if the belt was on there and the pump weighs a bit.

Replacing spark plugs costs very little and will in many cases bring your power back up to optimum.

Yeah for free you can do stuff to bring it up to it's best possible tune. Check the valve lash, clean and gap the plugs, check the tire air pressure, empty shit out of car and trunk.

Stuff needed to insure that it will continue to run trouble free but not for free:

Inspecting the wires and cap (if they need replacing it won't be free)

Check change fan belts

Change air filter, stock is fine. K&N waste of money.

Change oil and filter (no matter what the p owner says)

Check the brake fluid and the clutch master fluid

Replace rad coolant antifreeze. Needs changing every 2 years and is likely 2 years past it's change point.

Replace the transmission oil GL-4 80W90 (it's probably 60,000 overdue anyway)

Replace the differential oil GL-5 90W (it's probably 100,000 overdue)

Check the disc/drum brake pads for wear and leaks.

speed costs money, how fast do you want to spend

do a tune up! also check your valve lash and timing.

when you change your oil, resist the urge to buy the cheap fram filter, suck it up and buy a napa gold or wix.

check all your rubber hoses too, if any are dry/hard or cracked replace them.

when the motors running, if you pull the oil cap off and the motor starts to stumble you know your vac lines are fine, but if it dose nothing you have a vacuum leak.

if you want to lose some weight, take out the A/C and pull the front and rear bumper. That will shave over 100lbs (those bumpers are heavy)

that cold air intake with a cone filter off ebay isnt going to do jack

real power gains will take work, money, and skill

Edited by Skib

Well im not new to Modding cars. and a very close friend of mine has already replaced all hoses. and changed the oil, plugs and wires and cap.

i only use Wix Filters, personal preference.

and i understand real power comes from time, money and hard work.

some cars just have things to do for free. i cant think of any examples of the top of my head though.

just curious, does MSD, or other company's make an upgraded distributor? not just a fancy cap, but the whole unit?

also turbos? and id prefer not to swap motors, but rebuild and boost the L28 with forged interals and what not.

and also cold air intakes do help. you just need to understand your personal motor and what kind of intake it needs

Well im not new to Modding cars.

from posts so far you havent convinced me.

also turbos? and id prefer not to swap motors, but rebuild and boost the L28 with forged interals and what not.

L28et 81-83 280zx. Direct swap and 3 wires.

Use the search button at Hybridz.org its been covered a million times.

and also cold air intakes do help. you just need to understand your personal motor and what kind of intake it needs

I know my L6's inside and out. sticking a cone filter on your L28 will do nothing.

it already has a factory cold air intake. and dont kid yourself by thinking that its going to give you more flow or better breathing ect. its not.

from posts so far you havent convinced me.

L28et 81-83 280zx. Direct swap and 3 wires.

Use the search button at Hybridz.org its been covered a million times.

I know my L6's inside and out. sticking a cone filter on your L28 will do nothing.

it already has a factory cold air intake. and dont kid yourself by thinking that its going to give you more flow or better breathing ect. its not.

well i may not have convinced you, but i dont feel the need to impress people i dont know.

im not trying to start an argument or insult you, just voicing my opinion

thank you for the link, by chance do you have one for a manual conversion? i found a DIY and was confused by that particular one.

i dont consider slapping a cone filter on a car a CAI, i mean new piping and routing also.

btw, found distributors

well i may not have convinced you, but i dont feel the need to impress people i dont know.

not sayin you need too, but I assume someone knows nothing until i see otherwise, and its obvious your new to Z's

thank you for the link, by chance do you have one for a manual conversion? i found a DIY and was confused by that particular one.

get manual trans, clutch petel, master and slave cyl/lines, clutch and pressure plate, T/O bearing ext, depending on your year motor/trans.

manual conversions have pretty universal steps

i dont consider slapping a cone filter on a car a CAI, i mean new piping and routing also.

my cone filter/CIA points are still the same. it still will do nothing.

i understand your point exactly, and yes, i am 110 % new to Datsun as a whole.

but an engine is an engine in the end, its just how they are set up.

so nothing out of the ordinary for this manual conversion? id like a 5spd, but someone said something about i have to do a 4spd. is this true or do they not know what they are talking about.

lets not turn this thread into something it wasn't designed for. if you would like to debate, you can pm me, otherwise, lets drop the CAI. :)

ps sorry about my grammer.

I converted my 240z to a 5spd first thing after getting it. It was a direct swap. Nearly everything bolted in (the hole is even in the firewall for the clutch master already, just pull off the plug, tranny crossmember from the auto bolted on, auto driveshaft slid right in and was right length, clutch pedal bolted right into the auto box, etc.), only things that didn't; The clutch hard line, but this is not a big deal, I just modified my original stays to hold it. The clutch soft line, there is no provision for a stay like stock, so either weld one in or zip tie it.

You asked for advice on "free mods", these guys know what they are talking about. Take it as gospel.

lets not turn this thread into something it wasn't designed for. if you would like to debate, you can pm me, otherwise, lets drop the CAI. :)

lol theres nothing to debate, sticking a cone filter and pipe ect, dose nothing on the L28.

its a technical cold air intake from the factory.

the intake restriction isnt in the air intake so it will change nothing, if you want to improve your intake, properly port the runners.

Im not telling you that to knock you or anything, telling you because I know from experience. If you learn lessons already learned it will save you trial and error and money.

Ya thatst he point really, if the TB and runners are the stock choke points on a L series how can opening up something before them help? Can't......

It's like widening a river right before a dam.

Ya thatst he point really, if the TB and runners are the stock choke points on a L series how can opening up something before them help? Can't......

It's like widening a river right before a dam.

exactly, the choke point of the EFI manifold is the runners, the TB isnt bad, if you feel the need to go bigger dont bother going past 60mm. the TB swap dosent give you more power just quicker throttle response.

Porting out the runners is kinda free if you have the tools lol

im speaking intakes in general, as for most cars, especially newer ones, not just the l28. i was looking at the larger tb at ''thezstore.com''. they seem to have quit a few nice items = )

speaking of them, is it a reputable store? do you have any personal reviews of them?

and im sure your not trying to knock me, otherwise im sure there might be more heated words flying around lol

also, im getting the car tonight, and haven't really gotten to truely inspect under the hood yet. all ive done is glanced around it to make sure everything was there

MSA is reputable, a bit over priced on some stuff but they have good stuff.

if you plan on getting a larger TB from them dont bother tho, waaaaaay over priced. get a KA24 60mm TB and you can put your stock linkage on it and use the stock throttle linkage with a 1in spacer.

im speaking intakes in general, as for most cars, especially newer ones, not just the l28.

this is a thread about L28 mods so Im telling you about them, I dont argue that for some cars a CAI will be an improvement but for the L28 in particular its not.

Edited by Skib