The J18 - J16 engines (J1800 J1600)

fisch

Yeah sweet, that's good to here. I believe it's a column shift auto (the gbox is still in the wagon).

The J15 with 4 speed gearbox I'm getting for a case of beer smile.gif

Can anyone confirm if a J15 will bolt to a J13 auto box in a 411 wagon?

Still hoping to get my hands on a 411 wagon I know about one day, and grabbing a cheap J15 motor in a few weeks from a 620 truck.

I am not sure Pedro, not a lot of J action over here. But if I were a betting man, I'd bet it would bolt right up. And as Gary said above (though not specifically about the trans.) "I found that the J-15 forklift motor was identical (to the J-13) except for the pistons and the valves were bigger on the head diameters..."

How cheap is that J15?

Thread revival, but came across this while searching for stuff and figured I'll throw some more information behind what I have found since this post.

J13 gearbox should bolt up to a J15 (no surprise), however the clutch setup is different on a J13, so throw out bearing etc is different. The J13 3 speed column shift also has a different pivot arm setup for the thrust bearing to the J15 4 speed, seems to pivot on a rubber type thing which on my car after 50 years had perished.

I made the decision to move up to the J15 4 speed (out of a 620 ute), the 3 speed is shorter and physically smaller, it also has a unique tailshaft yoke. The 4 speed appears to share the generic nissan later model (like 510) gearbox spline (will confirm 100% when I get to that stage).

The column shift linkage on the 4 speed is in the same location as the 3 speed, which is worth noting as it's the major part you want to line up if upgrading. Gearbox mount is also in a different location.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are NO J13 Automatic transmissions!  Only the R type 1600 engine had the torque and Horsepower band to sucessfully mate to an automatic transmission [the British Borg Warner M35, developed for the Austin line, shares transmission bolt pattern with the type R 1600 engine].

There was a JDM semi-automatic transmission for the J13 engine but let's not go there!