The J18 - J16 engines (J1800 J1600)

fisch

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this thread, as I didn't have much of any information when I went to rebuild my J-13 in my 66 520 back in 2001. I found that the J-15 forklift motor was identical except for the pistons and the valves were bigger on the head diameters, so when I rebuilt the J-13, it has all the bearings, gaskets oil pump vavle guides and then I had the head opened up with hardened seats and teh larger J-15 valves installed. Then a buddy of mine wrked fro Crower Racing and he did the R&R of my rods, while his brother reground my cam and lifters to an RV Stree/etrip grind. Makes my little J sound like it has a "lope" :blink:

I had heard all the stories of Datsun copying the MGA and the MGB, and while doing my rebuild Ibought a MGA exhast manifold (Header style cast iron manifold) but to use it Ild have to go electric fuel pump, so it is in my boxes of spare parts. I also got a Cannon sidedraft intake and a solex DCOE style carb, but have yet to put it on the truck, but it does physically mount to the head, just never got a chance to check for carb clearance. So I am running a NOS Nikki that i got off e-bay from Austrailia. Also my rocker assy was toast, so I found out the the MGB 1800 assy fit perfect, and that is what I have run now for years and over 30,000 miles on the 520. At one point I bought a 1976 MGB 1800 with the intention of eventially putting it in the 520, but I found out that the 5-main MGB uses a 5 bolt flywheel, and the datsun uses a 6 bolt. Appearantly the 3 main MGB 1800 has the correct 6 bolt patern, so you just swap the front and rear mounting plates to Datsun, and then drop in the MGB 1800. I have a pic at home, I'll try to post of a guy in San Diego who did just that, and has a 520 that is running the 1800. Also the MGA and MGB folks have a company named Riverside that manufacturers adapter plates to use a Datsun 5 speed behind the MGA and B series engines, and since I know that the bolt patern on the back of the MGB is the same as the J-13 and E-1, then the Riverside adapter should work with the J-series engines. This is most-likely the easiest way to get a 1800 engine in an early datsun, and should you want to spent the bigger bucks with Riverside for the adapter plate, then you could have a 4 speed or a 5 speed.

Hope that offers a few extra bits of insight to the mystery of the E-1/J-series push-rod motors.

Garry in Alaska

• Like 1

A J16 for sale at Yahoo Japan. We can clearly see that is has motor mounts in the middle of the block. But we can also see the bolt holes on the front (timing) plate where you could mount it in the standard J, E1 and C engine location. (The traditional BMC b-series spot.Shipping would be killer though! It is going for 38000 Yen ($422 US).

J16 YAhoo Japan

J16yahooJapan.jpg

J16yahooJapan2.jpg

J16yahooJapan3.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great Topic,This RATSUN place is always full of Datsun sleuths!

I have been looking for these J-18's for pieces I need. I have (2) J-20 Rallye engines from the African Safari team circa 1969.They have aluminum heads on them and I was told the j-18 was its predecessor.

great info!

Neely

• 1 month later...

Woah how did I miss this???? J-20? I might have read about them? Please take pics and post them in this thread Neely!

No new research on my end. Though lately I have been dreaming about a VG33er Supercharger (X-terra, Frontier) engine poking out of the hood of my '59! But I'd want to track down another hood to cut of course. Or have a fiberglass one made... All pipedreams though!

Unfortunately the rear bolt pattern isn't the same between a J and a MGB engine. It's doable with a custom adapter plate, though, as the late J13 used an adapter plate just to use the stock transmission. The rivergate conversions are very expensive, though, and have just about sucked the well dry of B310 transmissions (as well as priced them out of this universe).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am not sure Pedro, not a lot of J action over here. But if I were a betting man, I'd bet it would bolt right up. And as Gary said above (though not specifically about the trans.) "I found that the J-15 forklift motor was identical (to the J-13) except for the pistons and the valves were bigger on the head diameters..."

How cheap is that J15?

I am not sure Pedro, not a lot of J action over here. But if I were a betting man, I'd bet it would bolt right up. And as Gary said above (though not specifically about the trans.) "I found that the J-15 forklift motor was identical (to the J-13) except for the pistons and the valves were bigger on the head diameters..."

How cheap is that J15?

Yeah sweet, that's good to here. I believe it's a column shift auto (the gbox is still in the wagon).

The J15 with 4 speed gearbox I'm getting for a case of beer :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Bumping this old, interesting thread.

Wikipedia mentions a J16 and J20 as well as the J15 (but doesn't mention the J18).  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_J_engine

Does anyone have any leads on finding one of these bigger J-series engines in the US (or elsewhere... assuming shipping doesn't kill any deal)?

Or, are there any shops that know enough about the MBG and J-series engines that I could give them a J13 and money and they could build up something with more umppphhh than the 67 hp they came with?

I'm mostly tire-kicking at the moment, but would be interested in doing something in my 520, so long as it was mostly bolt-in.  I originally bought the truck to do an exotic swap (either a B13/B20 or a Hartley H2/H3)... but aside from expense, this particular truck needs to remain stock-ish.  I'll save the exotic swap for another project down the road.

• 3 months later...

More information: Datsun engines are not copies of BMC engines - they were made under license. Nissan manufactured 20,855 Austins from 1953-1959 and shared patents. The 1959 Datsun C1 engine was a de-stroked Austin B-engine. Later the Datsun E1 and J13 were improved designs that are increasingly different. Finally the 1966 Datsun A10 was a total redesign superior to the Austin engine although still familiar in layout.

The Datsun Sakura, which came with J18, was Mexico's version of Nissan Model Series S110. The S110 was sold in Japan as the Silvia and Gazelle and in USA as 200SX (1980-1983).

The 180SX that Fisch referred to is not the famous S13 version, but the European version of the S110. However it came with Z18 engine (as compared to 200SX which came with Z20 engine).

J-series engines (J13, J15, J16, J18) are OHV (Over Head Valve aka "pushrod") L4 engines (Inline 4-cylinder).

Nissan J13 (1963)

1299 cc

62 hp @ 5000 rpm

67 hp @ 5200 rpm (USA)

Bore 73 mm

Stroke 77 mm

Nissan J15 (1969)

1483 cc

77 hp @ 5200 rpm

Bore 78 mm

Stroke 77 mm

Nissan J16 (1972)