My car shakes.

R!CKY

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

heh my front end was shaking last month so bad my teeth were chattering.. then my driveshaft exploded lol. could be lose driveshaft bolts sending vibes up to the front, or maybe on an extreme like a tc rods bushing metal washer is wedged against a pushed in tc rod surround. i experienced both at the same time :) or just simple balancing.. how boring

ill explain the tc rod metal washer: my dime is lower than the average, went over some random bump that pushed in the tc surround. replaced the stock rubber with ES bushings that pushed the washer out an extra half inch to wedge it against the pushed in surround. so i shaved a 16th off one side till i take it in to get it pulled to normal.

Got 2 more ideas when I noticed it was a 510. Do you have a slotted crossmember? If so the bushings will wear out creating massive vibrations, they will get worse under heavy exceleration. Or it could be bad dog bones. Yes I know both of these steam from the rear of the vehicle, but I've had both of them happen and its kinda hard to tell if it is coming from the front or rear. I also agree with oregondimer I decided to shorten my own driveline once and at 70 I could feel the vibration through the steering wheel.

If you're sure it's from the front, raise both wheels and physically push in and out at the top and then the bottom of each tire.There should be almost no movement, but free to turn side to side. Some movement may be the wheel bearing. Grab the side rod, left and right, and the cross rod and give them a good tug in all directions. There should be no movement except in the normal steering directions. Spin the tire by hand and look for lumps or tread separation. Take a good look at the idler arm for movement or slop, and last the steering box.

Lower the car and have someone turn the steering gently from side to side while you watch the steering for signs of looseness. Both tires should turn instantly and equally to steering input.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on where you feel the shaking. If it seems to be only felt through the steering wheel, it is most likely the wheel balance. If it seems to be felt only through the brake pedal, most likely it is warped rotors. If it gets worse with road speed, probably wheel alignment (which includes worn and loose suspension parts) or it could be the U-joints. If it gets worse with engine RPM (regardless of road speed) look for a loose engine pulley or flywheel.

It could be a million different things. Identifying when, how, where helps to narrow it down.

What me and me uncle have done.

Rear brakes and suspension has been serviced

-Brake shoes and wheel cylinders replaced

Front suspension is crap

-Brake pads

-Ball joints haha were barely there

-Tie rods coming in soon

-Bushings replaced (control arm, sway bar, etc...)

So the problem is this we drive along and everything is fine. no problem with stoping or anything it does pull to one side a little bit when we brake but the car does not shake until we hit about 40-50mph the car begins to slightly shake the steering is fine and nothing really violent or harsh happens just a little shake now that we changed the ball joints out we noticed the tie rods were shot and that my tires are crappy one of the rims might be bent haha I dont have all four rims I have two sets of rims and I'm getting kinda mad cus I cant find a set anywhere I'll get some pictures up someday! so yeah I havent checked out the driveline yet but it has no problem shifting and also the flywheel makes a funny noise when I start it up sometimes :D

I LOVE MY DIME! EVEN IF ITS A MONEY PIT!

I'm about ready to toss my rims away they look kinda similar to the Z's five spoke rims. I just want to run some steel rims for now haha if anyone wants to trade I'm MORE THAN WILLING! I'll have pictures up in couple days!

AHHHHH!