vintage datsun swapmeet (Los Angeles)

djmoreron

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be cool to get SWDP's together at pomona!!!

I think there's one comming up soon. we should do it.

Ron, Mario never told the where & when. Still trying to work out all the details.

OK, here's My thoughts on Pomona............. I trailered a VW baja bug and a lot of parts there from Barstow in, about, 1987. I ended up bring back most of it all. It took Me all day Friday to pack, load, strapdown and secure everything. I left Barstow Saturday morning (Pomona is on SUNDAY) to get in line by the afternoon. Finally got to My spot around 2 P.M. and disconnected the trailer from My truck, which I put behind the trailer to sleep in and show the VW up front. Now the neat thing is this, by being there on Saturday You can see what everyone else is selling BEFORE the general public. SOOOoooooo.... I ended up spending over $200.00 before SELLING any of My stuff. Now I'm in the hole and HAVE to sell the next day. Haggling, haggling and more haggling to where I got so frustrated that I was almost giving stuff away that I thought I would make $$$$ on. The smog in the air (You guys are USED to that!!) was burning My eyes by noon. By 3 P.M. I was so burned out and frustrated that I'd "had it" with Pomona. Then as people were leaving I scrounged around to see what they left (I always do that) and lugged MORE stuff back to My truck/trailer to load up. Now the drive home. I ended up spending almost more and brought about the same amount of "treasures" home!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I had a good time on Saturday but going back to work on Monday morning was a BUMMER (aching muscles, tight chest and basset hound looking eyes). I told Myself then that if I ever do a Pomona again I would set certain boundrys and not cross them. In other words, find a less stressful and more enjoyable way to do the swapmeet. But who really knows WHAT anyone there is looking for? I have looked for the last 8 years for 620 parts and nobody selling would have ever know that. Before that I was looking for models and Ford F-100 parts. Before that, Schwinn Stingray bicycles. My point............ There might be a BUNCH of people looking for Datsun parts. How would You know? Now if We could COMMIT to a certain date next year, get about 3 surrounding spaces with at least one truck on display and bring in Bar-B-Ques with food and such, We could have an AWESOME time!! And I would GLADLY trailer a bunch of stuff over there. My thought would be to organize the parts being brought so that each of Us would not be bring the same parts as the next guy. Wouldn't You be (be honest here) somewhat pissed if Your Ratsun neighbor undersold You on a part that You brought from so far away? So that area would need to be discussed. As far as a "bench session" goes, I think it would be AWESOME to sit around (on Saturday before the buyers arrive) looking over magazines, pictures and such just catching up and Bar-B-Quing!!! Now here is an idea, Pomona next year on March 9 or April 20th (Yes, that is verified). Why that date????? Because most people will have received Their tax refunds and have $$$$$ available a few months after spending on Christmas. Plus they are looking for parts to finish of their rides for summer. It's a though and this gives Us time to plan ahead. Also don't forget, every time I've been at Pomona there ARE buyers from Japan there. Just look at their websites. They LOVE Pomona!!! 5 months from now to plan, I like the idea!!!

• 1 month later...

:w00t:

from the DQ ...

Vintage Japanese Swap-meet and Car Show -- January 13, 2008 from 9:00 2:00. All cars and walk ups are free admission. All sellers must be set up prior to 9:00 A.M.. Sellers spaces are $10.00 each. The fee will be paid back to HILLCO. The location will be HILLCO Fastener Warehouse, 7522 Park Avenue, Garden Grove in Orange County. Centrally located off the 22 Garden Grove Freeway at Beach Boulevard.

Any questions e-mail me at datsunlandsocal@sbcglobal.net or call Mike Kay at 714-393-0273.

Keep the Pomona idea in thought. We would need at least 2 side by side spaces. If We are going to do this, We better act fast on the spaces. Another idea on this.............. The VW section is not usually full. Every time I have gone to Pomona, there are Japanese guys buying EVERYTHING in that section. We would be better focusing on that market than the rest of the swapmeet which is selling muscle car/street rod items. We could meet new friends, and do Our main purpose.. GET RID OF JUNK!!! Anyway, by looking at My Cal Magazines I am buying, the Japanese buy everything Americana. Old Route 66stuff, signs, 45 records, 8 tracks, old license plate frames, etc. Keep that in mind.