motavated

How to repair a 620 glove box door!

Sorry If I cant explain it well. But hopefully you can understand how I did it so you can fix your door too!!!!

What you first need it a screw driver and this clear plastic vinyl!

clear_plastic.jpg

I bought 3 feet to be on the safe side from the swap meet.

Ok...

First step is to remove your 620 glove door and not loose all the screws.

Then once the glove door is off remove the bottom bolts from that glove door.

Next cut a piece of vinyl to the same size as the base of the door and 1 1/2 feet tall.

now slowly separate the door in half. Just enough so you can place the vinyl inside.

Untitled-14.jpg

Place the vinyl in deep into the doors crack. Make sure the the vinyl goes over the screw holes. That is very important!!!!

Once the vinyl plastic is deep inside. Place screw back on the door and and close the door up. YOU NEED TO RIP/PENETRATE THE VINYL PLASTIC! DOING THIS MAKES THE VINYL PLASTIC HAvE A NICE PLACE TO HOLD ON TO.

So it would look something like this...

IMG_6888.jpg

IMG_6889.jpg

Now install the door back to the truck.

Now place the vinyl under the glove box and screw the door back into place like the pic depicts below...

Untitled12.jpg

Good luck and enjoy!

Edited by Motavated
  • Like 1

Hey that'll work Adam. Your like Mc gyver at fixin 620 parts :lol: My glovebox door is held on w/ a zip tie :rollseyes:

Great idea.:D Apparantly your guys further south and your sunshine are a little harder on glove box doors.

Of the four 620's that i have had, i have never had a broken door. However i do had at least tow spare doors right now, just in case.:D Would be willing to let one go too.

funny I did this same thing but, I use some fabric instead of the vinyl. I have yet to install the perfect glove box door sitting in my garage.

I cannot for the life of me get my glove box open, am i correct in assuming if i run a knife along the bottom edge I can cut thru the stock material and open it up?

Nah man, if your hinge is good you could mess it up sticking something down there. Maybe your dash shrunk and stuff... Just turn the knob and pull. If you cant open it and your dash is good. I wouldn't fuck with it...

mine had the same issue...try taking a screw driver and push down on the top of the door while turning the latch....the latch comes loose and drops not letting it release

I used you basic method but didn't have any vinyl laying around and they wanted like $8 for a roll. I took a stroll around Wal-e-world and found some black vinyl report covers in the back to school section. $1.97 + tax and I was on my way to a fixed and functional glove box.

All I had to do was trim off the flaps for holding the papers in with a box cutter and trimmed it to size and installed like above. Done. Thanks for the great starting point.:thumbup:

i used two hardware hidges

I thought about that but damn that shit makes it look ugly. I was thinking about this too.

WD12.jpg

I thought about that but damn that shit makes it look ugly. I was thinking about this too.

WD12.jpg

You're close.I used a piano hinge that ran the width of the door.Sprayed it black and no more issues.

You're close.I used a piano hinge that ran the width of the door.Sprayed it black and no more issues.

YEP! I could not find a pic of that hinge. They have that at the hardware store for sure....

BLACK PULL TIES: 

I decided on (3) tiny (1/16") black plastic pull ties.  I drilled 1/16" holes in the bottom of the door inner panel and correspondingly in the 3 bolt hole flange.

It articulates smoothly and frankly, it's very hard to notice the black ties since the locking head is only 1/8" cubic.

Edited by Cardinal Grammeter