1974 datsun 710 4dr

Geez Mike, that car is nice!

000926 - Damn Early 710, but didn't escape the park bench bumpers. Easy remedy.

Looks like a great project. BTW, did I understand correctly? Your thinking *cough cough* 4 speed auto *cough cough*?? Take pics, as this fitting would be identical for the 610, and that is my major hangup right now...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's AWESOME Mike, so you're gonna be cruiser eh! That's a Datsun 1000 isn't it?

Yup Deluxe! That is the parts car, the good one is under wraps and M I N T!! Awesome

Engine tag and motor from parts car:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Datsun%20car%20trucks/GRAHEMBLASCO027Large.jpg[/img]"]GRAHEMBLASCO027Large.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Datsun%20car%20trucks/GRAHEMBLASCO026Large.jpg[/img]"]GRAHEMBLASCO026Large.jpg

I'm kind of excited! My wife is strangely on board with this.... :mellow: Hope to have it home before Christmas.

Geez Mike, that car is nice!

000926 - Damn Early 710, but didn't escape the park bench bumpers. Easy remedy.

Looks like a great project. BTW, did I understand correctly? Your thinking *cough cough* 4 speed auto *cough cough*?? Take pics, as this fitting would be identical for the 610, and that is my major hangup right now...

Well I have an L series L4N71B tranny. This is not a torque converter lock out type but a totally separate 4th gear over drive with 0.686 ratio. As it is fitted with an L18 and 3N71B and should have a 4.11 differential, I have the option of slipping my old truck L20B in with the 4 spd behind it.

I remember the Datsun 1000's well Mike, I had my first accident by hitting my buddy's with my mom's Honday! Great little car, every bit as good as the first gen Honda in my opinion and it predated it by a good 5 years.

So you're getting into the 710 are you! Congratulations. A nice cruiser would be awesome. I've always like the idea of an auto tranny 4 speed auto KA24e in a 'goon, my wife would love it and it'd be one hell of an in town car! I've got some ideas for some springs for you when the time is right!

Good. I see the struts have those inserts? They can be filled with thicker oil?

The L4N71B I have has the removable front 'bell' (like the roadster) so only need one from an early 240sx KA to make it work for a KA motor.

Edited by datzenmike

Ahhh, the good OE oil dampers! Yes' a thicker grade of oil would be nice, I like the 30W myself, but the 20W worked well also with the stock springs. I think the OE oil was really light, something like a 5W or 10W. Be sure to get the "anti foaming" kind of oil they sell in motorcycle shops for the bike forks Mike.

When you get the strut out of the car, undo the big nut on top of the strut tube. Look inside and at the top edges there should be a rubber "O" ring sealing it in place. Use a sharp pick (a dental pick works great) and gently work the "O" ring out of the tube and you should be able to withdraw the entire damper assembly. I was able to reuse the "O" ring, but, you should be able to source one from a hydraulic shop if you tear it. Remove the damper gently as there's a whole pile of little bits attached on the bottom and if they come off you're gonna have to figure out what order they go back on. Be sure to drain the damper assembly and the strut tube completely of the old fish oil, use a BIG basin, I used a little one and ended up with oil everywhere, looked like a Mazola party afterwards ....

Well I have an L series L4N71B tranny. This is not a torque converter lock out type but a totally separate 4th gear over drive with 0.686 ratio...

Same Transmission that I have. Looking forward to the progress on that swap.

Hey Mike the car is ready to go, shot the tires up and threw a bit of fresh gas/stabilizer in the tank, seems to be running better.

One thing you should bring/buy is new wiper blades the old ones are completely shot. anyways give me a shout when your headed

down and il meet ya at the shop

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.