H190 Differentials (w/Pictures)

Dime Dave

A couple of notes:

You can go to the wrecking yard and pull a Explorer (Ford 8.8) with LSD; the left side of the axle housing is longer, what people do is pull a passenger side axle out of another housing (so you have two passenger side axles), shorten the left side around 2.8 inches and then install the right side axle in the shortened left side housing. the result is a housing that's around 56" axle flange to axle flange.   As mentioned weight is the issue; the Ford 7.5 axles are around 150lbs and the 8.8s are around 175-180lbs.  Even using alloy axles and aluminum rear cover would help but I'd still expect them to be 40-50lbs heaveir than the H190. The Ford axle would never break but yes they are heavy.

You could use a Speedway Engineering (light and strong)  or something similar but that will set you back anywhere from $2500-$3000

Tom

• Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Sorry but buying and selling are for the classifieds...  http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/5-drivetrain/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc  ... Start a for sale ad and include the price and yourrr rough location so shipping can be figured and a picture not the link. Mention if 29 spline (truck) or 23 spline (car, 510 wagon, Roadster, etc) and aluminum case. About 32 pounds.

ij86f25.jpg

• Like 1

I was going to mention that. The H-223 changed the mounting bolt size around '94? Maybe H190 also. Inner Diameter?

Didn't Wayno swap lower gears onto an H-190 LSD?

Nope, wasn't me, not an LSD.

I did change out the bad carrier for a good one in a C200 which necessitated me moving the ring gear from one carrier to the other, but I didn't get rear cover sealed good and it ran out of fluid and wasted the pinion gear, it worked great till it ran out of fluid.

I was going to mention that. The H-223 changed the mounting bolt size around '94? Maybe H190 also. Inner Diameter?

Didn't Wayno swap lower gears onto an H-190 LSD?

Again, not sure about the H190 but the R180 ring gears went from 110mm ID to 115mm ID in/around '76, so a 110mm ID ring won't fit a 115mm carrier.  Could be a similar situation with the H190

• 1 year later...