Just when you thought you'd seen it all....

My wife informs me that my dad's old '90 FWD Sundance just made a BANG sound while she was backing up. I figured a CV joint or something, groan. Of course she thinks I think she doesn't know what she's talking about. Anyway, later that day she's backing up with me in the car and BANG! I think she backed into another car!!! Or maybe up on the curb as the back end lifted. We drive back in the parking space and there's nothing there behind us. So we back out and go home. Our son is there working on his car so I decide to mess around with it. I back up several times and nothing until I use the brakes to stop... Bang. Right rear wheel locks solid, back end lifts up. Try to force the car to back up, it won't. I drive forward it's fine. Back up and just lightly touch the brake and it locks up and drags the wheel to a stop. Do this several times and it locks solid and stays that way. Drive into the gravel driveway dragging the rear wheel and park it. I figure the wheel bearing as I've seen the bearing cage come apart on bearings and jam in one direction but spin in the other just like a sprag clutch. They're used on pull start chainsaws and lawnmowers. I get the drum off and the brake shoes are on but the lining one one just fell out on the ground!!! Who would have thought it could lock the wheel and drag it on pavement.

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got this '90 auto about 2-3 years ago. Flew out to Ontario and drove it back to BC. It had an unbelievable 18K miles on it! Dad did two oil changes a year so about 34 gallons of oil over 18 years. Runs good, replaced the original muffler last summer.

The lining that fell out looked like it was glued onto the shoe, sure wasn't riveted on.