Need help with my powersteering setup on the 620.

budsaipan

After searching and searching, I have yet to find a picture that I need. I just put in a 280zx ps gearbox and a 720 steering column with tilt steering onto my truck. I'm trying to align it as close to stock position as I can. It's all bolted on there but might be leaning to the right a little bit.. So I need someone to sit right in front of the steering wheel and take picture straight on so I can compare it.. I'd use my stock one but they are all messed up... Please?!! I'll do write up on it after..

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Havent gone that far yet. Was thinking of using mr2 electric pump but might not fit into the budget. Might stick with either 720 or 280zx pump.. Right as of now, I plugged up where the hose fitting goes. Didnt realize how big the gearbox was compared to stock one. :blink:

There was a 280zx pump in a local yard when I was doing mine but couldn't afford to try it and not have it work so I scooped a D-21 pump but it didn't have the on board reservoir. I made my own mounting plate and bolted it to the block where the air pump would have been. Yeah there wasn't much clearance with the box. But it did work flawlessly for years. Anyway, if I did it again I would modify a 720 pump/res and install an electric fuel pump to make room for it.

BTW: the 620 Pittman arm spline fit the 280z box perfectly. I later swapped in a D-21 that looked identical but the sector shaft and Pittman were on the outside of the frame rail (mirror image)... this one did not fit, so I swapped the 280zx sector shaft into it.

I'm out of town working, sorry I can't help with your photo request.

Do you have any photos of your power steering swap? Any more info on how it is turning out?

Well I did alot of research on this site before I jumped on it. Looked like some information here was a bit misleading. I believe the steering box I used was from a 280zx (79-82?) not sure but I guess they are all the same. I did a search and found some pictures that Datzenmike posted, but mine looks a bit different on the mounting area. And instead of 3 bolts lining up, it's just 2 bolts. Had to drill out or grind out one of the mounting tab in order to slide the bolt in. That process was a pain in the @ss since I used a small dremel and carbide bit. The pitman arm from 620 does fit but had to take of the center steering link before I was able to bolt the pitman arm. Will need to adjust the tow in order to make sure the tires are straight. Everything is bolted up now. Just trying to adjust the steering column

There was a 280zx pump in a local yard when I was doing mine but couldn't afford to try it and not have it work so I scooped a D-21 pump but it didn't have the on board reservoir. I made my own mounting plate and bolted it to the block where the air pump would have been. Yeah there wasn't much clearance with the box. But it did work flawlessly for years. Anyway, if I did it again I would modify a 720 pump/res and install an electric fuel pump to make room for it.

BTW: the 620 Pittman arm spline fit the 280z box perfectly. I later swapped in a D-21 that looked identical but the sector shaft and Pittman were on the outside of the frame rail (mirror image)... this one did not fit, so I swapped the 280zx sector shaft into it.

Yeah I have the 720 pump/res but I dont have the idler pulley for it, not sure if I can make it work without the idler pulley..... Any ideas on this one? Do you also know where they sell rebuild kit for the 280zx steering box?

Right now, I plugged up the gearbox where the lines are suppose to hook up to. Should I just fill it in with powersteering fluid or use some kind of oil for the gears inside?

I now have a Z24 and the idler adjusting pulley is over by the dizzy:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0435.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0435.jpg

Understandably this is not likely to mount perfectly to an L head so some fabrication will be needed.

When I yanked the L20B, the pump and idler was custom mounted where the air pump would have been:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/motorhomemadepspump.jpg[/img]"]motorhomemadepspump.jpg

If anything can be said about this it would be "How Not To Do It". Everything was tight fitting against the power steering box. The hex fitting you see is actually a bolt that I drilled up it's length and then in from the side to make it work like a banjo fitting. You can just see the copper washers. It is also modified at the bottom to work with the pressure relief valve spring. The original was two pieces and stuck out too far and hit the box. I was able to loose over an inch plus grinding a notch in the top aluminum cover of the box. It worked... barely.

Edited by datzenmike

Has to provide up to about 1,000 PSI under full load. Most of the time very little is used as no work is being done. The battery would provide all you need for parking and the alt. would catch up later when driving straight. Just like the starter.

Closer look

DSC01266-1.jpg

I seem to remember using a rat tail file on the hole on the frame. Yours looks easier.

The webbing around the holes are to support and keep the tabs from snapping off. I've seen 4X4 D-21 Hardbodys broken there from severe abuse. Those power boxes transmit a lot of torque!!! I've had my 33" tire against a wall and turned the steering and shoved the truck sideways.

Has to provide up to about 1,000 PSI under full load. Most of the time very little is used as no work is being done. The battery would provide all you need for parking and the alt. would catch up later when driving straight. Just like the starter.

I am glad that you are touching on the alt mike , I see people ruining alt all the time by saying can you give me a boost . I tell them sure but you are going to ruin your alt . They say how is that , like they don't believe me . So I have to take them to school and say put a battery charger on it . I let them know that a alt is not designed to charge a dead battery it is designed to put back what little bit it takes to start you vehicle . Or run your head lights and so on . So lesson of the day to people that didn't know , if your battery is dead put a charger on it and let it fully charge don't ruin your alt . :lol: But I can understand if it is an emergency and you have no access to a charger . Just avoid it at all cost ........

I seem to remember using a rat tail file on the hole on the frame. Yours looks easier.

The webbing around the holes are to support and keep the tabs from snapping off. I've seen 4X4 D-21 Hardbodys broken there from severe abuse. Those power boxes transmit a lot of torque!!! I've had my 33" tire against a wall and turned the steering and shoved the truck sideways.

I thought bout drilling another hole on the frame for this but didnt have the tools. To file the hole on the frame, I don't think the bolt would went in straight since theres a nut welded at the other side. It took me a good 4 or 5 days to shape that hole using a carbide bit. If theres a machine shop that will do it, I recommend it 110%! It was quite a labor with a cheap dremel.

• 2 weeks later...