How I got my 59 L210

purple

Back when I lived ih the SF bay area while still in college I was walking in the town I had just moved to. San Anselmo just west of San Rafael, which is the town I moved from. Anyway, the was a furniture apolstery shop the had a car for sale, a 59 Beardmore London taxi. I drooled over this car more than most, I was in love. But I knew I couldn't. The guy came out and we got to talking. We became fast friends. I would visit and we would talk mostly cars, and his other love, the vintage eames recliner he just redid for himself. He had a lot of cars, but stored them and would register different cars each year so they would eventually get driven. He still owned a 62 Chrysler 300 convertible the he lived in during the early 70s. Once in a while he would tell the story of a car he owns, which included a 73 Mazda truck with a built Buick V6 that couldn't pass smog, and his 3 Mercurs one of which was the Road And Track mag car that they built for articles and it had all the mods, mostly Momo stuff.

After 2 years of knowing him, he mentioned a car, "I know you'll love my 59 Datsun". He would then mention it each time he saw me and said someday you should see it. Another year goes by and he gets it unburied from storage and registers it so it can be that years car to drive. I finally got to see it and got a ride. The hopped up little A14 seemed to fly, it was a lot of fun. I wanted it and he knew it. After another year he finally agreed to eventually sell it to me. I could only save a little from each check so it took a while, but when I had $1000 saved he was finally willing to sell. All I had to do to it at the time was get tires and I was a changed man. He said he couldn't see anyone else owning it.

All the mods had been done by the previous owner, who was still building the A14 when my friend got it. Turns out during the 7 years my friend owned it he only put about 50 miles on it. He told me that after I drove it nostop for months. I was driving it really hard, even getting airborn over the former railroad crossings in Manteca, where I was then living. I guess thats a good way to break in a motor.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a cool story Purple!!! Man I can not wait till get to live the same thrill with mine.

This actually reminde me of a guy I know here in MA. He is a weird older fellow who has some strange cars that are mostly sitting out side going to waste. I've seen DKW, Citroen, English fords on his property with my own eyes. And KNOW he has more in the barns and farther back on the land.

He says he has a 59 Datsun. And I believe he has it but he goes back an forth when talking about its condition. Sometimes it is rusty, sometimes is it ready for paint and to be put on a new frame he has for it.

Last we talked he said it would take 4k for him to part with it. I don't think so! But though I can't quite trust everything he says, I believe he has it and it is probably in rough shape- which would make it a perfect candidate to do some heavy body mods to.

He seems to like me and my interest in kookie cars, the last thing he mentioned is that he would will it to me. I said that would be awesome!!! But at the very least PLEASE put my name and contact inside the car, in case down the road, the family wants to sell it.

All this time I've wanted one and knew there was a 59 within 40 miles of me, but I could never see it, or afford to buy it for what he was asking.

Who knows, someday it could still be mine.

Edited by fisch

Yeah this guys list of cars was when I met him:

3 Merkur X4Tis

68 Camaro freshly painted waiting for final buff

59 Datsun (now mine)

59 Beardmore London cab

49 GMC 1/2 ton

Citroen CV2

73 Mazda pickup

62 Chrysler 300 convert

ford van for the business

Chevy truck daily driver

Some where in a shop he rented and some were at his home.

Sounds like they could be brothers man!!

Yeah this guys list of cars was when I met him:

3 Merkur X4Tis

68 Camaro freshly painted waiting for final buff

59 Datsun (now mine)

59 Beardmore London cab

49 GMC 1/2 ton

Citroen CV2

73 Mazda pickup

62 Chrysler 300 convert

ford van for the business

Chevy truck daily driver

Some where in a shop he rented and some were at his home.

Thats cool how you guys came across your 59s. the way i got mine i had seen it about 3 to 4yrs ago. i was craigslist just looking to see what i would fine. and when i seen it i couldnt belive that datsuns would even go back that far. when i seen i had fell in love it and i wanted but didnt have the money to buy it. so i didnt think i would ever see one again. and just about 4 months ago i seen again on CL so i started emailing the owner wanting to know more. at then he told me to come look it check it out. so i did and soon as i seen it i wanted it so bad. that i was going back n forth on gettig it. i left and as i was leaving his house it didnt feel rite so i drove to the bank pull the money out when back n told him im back to pick up my car! the koo thing about it he drop it off at my house on my bday:D