Trans Swap (Help Needed)

Okay guys,

I am torn. I want to swap out my automatic trans. from my 69 510

I hear there are two options:

One - is a 5 speed dogleg from a 1979 200SX

Two - a 5 speed from a 280ZX (79-83?) not sure on this.

Option one is the apparently the easier swap of the two.

Is there a big advantage to go with option two over option one?

I am not planning to race this car or anything like that. I just want to have a more enjoyable ride and get a bit of fun out of it.

Anybody have any suggestions, ideas, advice?

Please and thank you.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The FS5W63A dogleg is just short of a complete drop in. The gears are identical but with an overdrive 5th. Easiest swap.

The FS5W71B from any of these cars will fit if the drive shaft is shortened, fhift lever hols moved bach a few inches, rear mount modified and a longer speedo cable used. More work but stronger transmission and more of them to choose from with different ratios.

'77-79 620 or '80 720 2wd or,

'77-78 280z or,

'79-'83 non turbo 280zx or,

'79-'84 810/Maxima gas or diesel.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the detailed answer. That is great.

I will make sure that the trans is that model you mentioned.

I'd much rather have the easiest swap as this is my first one.

I am not looking to race this car so I should get enough enjoyment with the dog leg.

Pedals: do i just need the pedals or do I need the complete bracket at the firewall?

If you aren't already aware of it, the dogleg 5-speed has a different shift pattern compared to other Nissan 5-speeds. Reverse is to the left and forward, 1st is to the left and back. Put another way, Reverse in a dogleg is located where 1st is in a "normal" shift pattern transmission. This drives some people absolutely crazy, although I suspect many people who hate the "weird" shift pattern have never actually driven one enough to get used to it. If you commonly drive a "normal" shift pattern and also a dogleg, well, you just have to pay attention. I do it all the time, as my daily driver is a dogleg, but I drive "normal" patterns at work.

A dogleg trans may be harder for you to find than the other style trans, since they came in only '77-'79 200SX and late '70s 510s. Lots more 620s, 280Zs, and Maximas out there to choose from. If you go that route, search past posts under "Drivetrain" here on Ratsun for information on gear ratios. Some of the 280Zs had a really tall 1st gear that isn't supposed to work well with lower powered 4 cylinders. The regular pattern 5-speeds will need to have the drive shaft shortened and balanced which will cost around $100, and the time involved taking it to a shop.

You just need the pedals. The bracket they hang from is the same for auto or stick pedals. One of the pedals (I think the brake) has a backward thread on the through bolt. If you are unscrewing it and it seems to be getting tighter, it is. Pedals from a 610 (maybe 710 too?) will also work in your 510.

Len

You just need the pedals. The bracket they hang from is the same for auto or stick pedals. One of the pedals (I think the brake) has a backward thread on the through bolt. If you are unscrewing it and it seems to be getting tighter, it is. Pedals from a 610 (maybe 710 too?) will also work in your 510.

Len

The pedal boxes are close to the same but the auto pedal box does not have a provision for the clutch pedal return spring. You will need to add one.

You will also need to get a flywheel and some plugs to block off the trans fliud cooling passages in the radiator. If you plan to remove the shifter from your steering column, you will need a manual steering column surround and the plug for the bottom of the steering column where the linkage passed through. If I was doing this swap, I would just remove the shifter arm and leaver the rest in place. I had alot of trouble removing the entire shifter assembly. I had to pull the entire steering column to do it.