possible Fisch fenderless japrat

CharlieBucket

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So i am sure we all know how Fitch wants to build a fenderless japanese hotrod. well this pic i found got me thinking. Ratster

could it be done? I guess these things have leafs or something in the front? i cant even tell where the fender attaches to the car!

fenderlessdatsun.jpg

i like it. more pictures

No ones seen a roadster with the fenders off before? lol

I agree though it looks cool, not as cool as that yoda though yowza. I would love to do that to a 320. More like this though......

RatRod_1024.jpg

It's going to be really hard to do it on any standard "modern" vehicle. The old cars from the 30's already had external fenders, which did not flow as part of the body. Plus the hood width flowed into the doors, and the front cowl area was very narrow. Starting in the 40's the fenders became integral parts of the body, so when you remove them there's this ugliness of the fenderwell and door jamb. That would be a real project to clean up and then find a way to blend it back into the door, not easy because the cowl is so wide.

So i am sure we all know how Fitch wants to build a fenderless japanese hotrod. well this pic i found got me thinking. Ratster

could it be done? I guess these things have leafs or something in the front? i cant even tell where the fender attaches to the car!

fenderlessdatsun.jpg

Cantilever the front fenders off the wheel suspension like a motorcycle, steers with the wheels. That's the real "old school" way!

320555.JPG

Wait....

Before you blame me for a horrible idea to hack up a old classic NL320....

You should blame 72240z instead:

No ones seen a roadster with the fenders off before? lol

I agree though it looks cool, not as cool as that yoda though yowza. I would love to do that to a 320. More like this though......

32088885.JPG

--------------

320558.JPG

Psh I'll blame you for all of it, ALL OF IT!!!!!! lol

I didn't say nl I said 320 :-P, was my understanding the nl was rarer? I surely would never use one that was salvageable either.

Well within reason anyway one could argue anything is salvageable lol. It would def be one messed up 320 though. Still think it's a good idea, mine would have a carbed vg though :-).

For an NL I think sectioning the roof, slamming it and adding a spl311 scoop would do me just fine though.

Edited by 72240z

Haa I just found this thread!! Did you guys ever see the fenderless 521 I pshopped?

IDK it just doesn't quite look right on a post '35 car. And I am not quite feeling it on the 521 here. A lot has to do with the firewall. Lack of a substantial smooth cowl. And the lack of a taper to the frame from where the old fenders came in for a sharp nose. The whole car tapered really. So it might be ok from a side view, but a 3/4 view I am not so sure...

It might work on a 320, I have started messing with the 221 222 a little bit in pshop. So far I have found that you need to move the cab back a bit on teh frame to start getting the right proportions. I will have to finish it.

And I should add the Honest Charlie 72240z added is one of my favorite trucks!! And I LOVE that Yota!

521 thread- http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=5911&highlight=skool+521

Ratsun521Zrat.jpg

Edited by fisch

They have A frames on the wheels, my roadster is currently sitting with both fenders gone off I'll nab some pictures.

As for going fenderless it wouldn't be much of an issue to lop the whole front body off the car as the roadster has a frame of its own.

edit:

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

I considered lopping off my windshield and installing an old school hot rod one and making mine one with an L28 but decided against it as I just couldnt get it looking right in my head. So going with widebody instead, like the old school ISMA racers.

Edited by FoxyRoadster

True transverse single leaf is usually cooler, but I dig some parallel set-ups too!

attachment.php?attachmentid=762633&d=1253464897

1288906.jpg

If I were to go fenderless on a late 50's Datsun I'd try to keep the parallel. But if you went transverse you could gain ALOT of wheelbase, and make more room for a bigger engine!!

• 5 months later...