LED Gauge Cluster

Madness

This was posted in my project thread but should be more helpful here.

This write up is for the 521 gauge cluster but should be fairly universal.

First step is to remove the chrome surround and glass which is done by removing several screws on the back side of the cluster.

100_0753.jpg

I bought my LED's from SuperBrightLEDs.com, 2 green 90* viewing angle for turn indicators, 3 red 90* viewing angle for warning lights, and 4 blue 360* viewing angle for the cluster lighting.

100_0761.jpg

Inside the cluster there are green filters that you have to remove (especially if your going to change the color)

100_0755.jpg

To remove the filters, carve away at the melted stems on the back side and carefully break them from the cluster.

100_0756.jpg

100_0758.jpg

100_0760.jpg

For the newer models you may not have to do this, they may just have a condom over the bulb.

Now just pull the old bulbs out of the sockets and replace them with your new LED's. Most have a polarity so you may have to flip them in the socket to get them to work. Testing before you put your dash back together.

100_0762.jpg

100_0764.jpg

100_0765.jpg

100_0767.jpg

No use for these anymore

100_0768.jpg

Result

P1010587.jpg

P1010588.jpg

Good luck :thumbup:

Bart

• Like 5
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good writeup! I notice that all the lighting upgrades don't cure the one 521 and 410/411 gauge cluster problem. From 40MPH to 80 MPH the speedometer has piss poor lighting. But then, does anyone drive 55MPH anymore?

By the way, a 510 voltage regulator, with a bend in the mounting/grounding tab, will fit the 410, 411 and 521 mother board.

• Like 1
While you have your cluster out and apart, I recommend repainting the gauge needles with new fluorescent paint. It makes the needles glow again, and helps with the effectiveness of your new lighting. I bought some little jars of orange off ebay, but you may be able to find some at a crafts store.

i got the paint for my needles on my GLI from Fred Meyer. and YES it does help in making the needles visible.

and i REALLY need to do this.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

yes please do, I've been wanting to get some new lights for my gauges, I just didn't know which to buy when it came to the angle and all that.

To the OP, the gauges look awesome.

I wasn't sure either when i first ordered them, however. This is what i figured. The regular gauge lights are just round lights, there for 360 degrees of light. So i ordered 4 of those, in blue. So i can either leave the green condoms on there, and have a cool green effect, or pull the condoms off and have blue lights. the turn signals & dummy lights are the same bulbs, however i dont see the need for 360degrees of light for them so i purchased 90degree lights.

I received an email saying my order was shipping. as SOON as i get them, ill be sure and show!

• Like 1

I wasn't sure either when i first ordered them, however. This is what i figured. The regular gauge lights are just round lights, there for 360 degrees of light. So i ordered 4 of those, in blue. So i can either leave the green condoms on there, and have a cool green effect, or pull the condoms off and have blue lights. the turn signals & dummy lights are the same bulbs, however i dont see the need for 360degrees of light for them so i purchased 90degree lights.

I received an email saying my order was shipping. as SOON as i get them, ill be sure and show!

Sounds logical, which ones did you order?

The WLED-x-x LED bulb for the red/dummy and green/signal lights? And the WLED-xHP5 Wedge Base Bulb for the 360 degree main lights?

• Like 1

Sounds logical, which ones did you order?

The WLED-x-x LED bulb for the red/dummy and green/signal lights? And the WLED-xHP5 Wedge Base Bulb for the 360 degree main lights?

Eh, Wled-B5 for the main lights, and wled-x-x for the turn/dummy lights. I may have ordered the wrong main lights, pretty sure they were 360, but cant remember now that they are in the car. Sorry for the shitty pics, but you can def see the difference. I didn't remove the condoms yet, i am going to double check the bulbs to make sure they are 360 before I go that far.

Oics -

Before

IMG_20101120_202732.jpg

IMG_20101120_202740.jpg

After

510gauge001.jpg

510gauge002.jpg

• Like 2

win^^

Im so gettin me some :cool:

Yes, and you know the first two pictures, the lights all worked and were on. just a PITA to see.

Wow!!

Me to.

Do eet!

h2theizzo - looks good. Looks like I'll be ordering some tonight.

Thanks! Again, thats with the condoms still on. I just went outside last night and swapped the lights

i ordered some thursday. I will be putting them in next weekend

How much do they go for?

I paid a total of 24.50 shipped to my door.

• Like 1

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2F1157.htm

I found this site - it has alot of leds. I found it a while ago, I was planning to make clear tail light lens for my 510 and then put in LED colored bulbs - brighten things up a bit - But the dash lights look real good !

• Like 1

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2F1157.htm

I found this site - it has alot of leds. I found it a while ago, I was planning to make clear tail light lens for my 510 and then put in LED colored bulbs - brighten things up a bit - But the dash lights look real good !

SuperbrightLEDS is where i purchased mine as well. The lights work great! I am thinking about replacing my tail lights with these as well. Maybe the turn signals, not sure.