how to wire a VG30 to the dime?

chato

The engine is all ready to go in the bay (with the custom motor mounts and oil pan from team thump and just about everything is needed to get it in there) except the tranny member which I will build once the engine is in place. Then I thought, how in hell am I going to wire it? so I searched and came up with no definite answer all I know is about 8 wires that go into the 510 harness, but it might as well be one I still wouldn't know which one. By this time you realize wiring is not my cup of tea and to be honest I was tempted to use my little knowledge and try it but I didn't want to mess anything up. I even bought the DQ issues with the VG30dett build and to my surprise the wiring is not covered there! :( . So if anyone has a definite answers and baby steps to wire a vg30 please contact me. or post it up! thanks :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm running factory Injection and it is the VG30e. I'm going to use a external fuel pump out of a VW jetta. I thought about running carbs to make my life easier but the price of a carb set up was too much

The fuel injections will make for a nicer driving car once it is all done.:D

Check out Chris Vondrachek's website for wiring info.

http://vondrachek.org/automotive/datsuns/vg30_project/

• Like 1
I was thinking of the Michael Spreadbury aritcle, but I like this one better!

Thanks Qwik!

Yes! thank you Qwik, the hand drawn diagram is exactly what I was looking for. I wonder if the web site guy is still available to answer questions just in case I get stuck. anyways I'll get started on this

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The fuel injections will make for a nicer driving car once it is all done.:D

Check out Chris Vondrachek's website for wiring info.

http://vondrachek.org/automotive/datsuns/vg30_project/

Funny... I noticed my website was getting a bunch of hits from ratsun.net so I came over here to see what the fuss was about. Glad my low-fi diagrams are getting some use after all these years.

I'm been outta the Datsun scene for awhile but I still have all my cars and don't mind helping people out w/ VG30 installs & other Datsun debauchery. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

BTW, the diagrams on my site are the bare minimum for a VG30 install. It all works, but I'd recommend adding a couple fuses to the circuit in case things get outta control.

Drop me a PM/email with any ?'s...

-Chris

• 11 months later...

I just bought a 71 dime, with a VG30 turbo engine already installed, but none of the wiring is done.

Im clueless when it comes to anything electrical, and even after seeing these wiring diagrams, im still clueless. Do any of you guys know of someone that can wire the car up for me,preferbly around my area, So. California.

The stock 510 harness is there as well as the VG30 harness. I was told that the engine is out of a 1989 300zx.

I should have my version of the diagram double checked tonight and be posting it up very soon. Hopefully someone can try it and tell me if it works. I've wired a few VG's but never really taken any notes :) It's for the VG30E out of an S12 though. If someone wants me to do a different motor send the FSM schematic to datsunlb110@hotmail.com and I will work on that one as well. Like a VG30ET out of the Z31 or whatever.

Watching this one. Qwik, do you have a build thread started for this project yet?

I have one on the 510 realm but all my pics are with datsun510.com and the site is down so the thread has no pics right now.

Here is the link. I need to post it on this forum too.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=10548

I second the sticky request.

Got to get my shed finished so I can start tearing into this engine. The block and heads look like a reman so I am hoping that its in good shape on the inside. I will get some pics of it sometime this weekend so yo guys can let me know what you think.

qwick510 would like to see some pics of your swap.