Help with stalling needed!!!

Hi,

I own a 69 510 automatic. With an L16 stock carb also.

I am having a problem with bogging down when i step on the gas. It mostly happens when I am slowing down to make a turn or coming to a light and when I try to get going again, the car bogs down and it has stalled on a few occassions. It very rarely happens when I come to a complete stop.

Please help with suggestions as to what it could be.

Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely a worn accelerator pump in the carb. Remove air filter (engine off) and look down inside while pumping the gas. You should see a strong squirt of raw fuel into the primary barrel. (closest the valve cover) If it is weak or none that is the problem. Simply remove the carb and get a rebuild kit. A couple of quality time hours spent with your carb and that should do it.

because it looks clean.

Sometimes a hot babe looks clean to!!!!!!! and has Herpes

most 510s tanks are clean. the trucks However the filter needs to be changed more often as the tank is exposed to the weather and the fuel neck/hose and get dirt inside and go in to the tank.

also if you have a stock carb ck the window site glass and make sure the fuel level is OK.

what another thing you can do is when this happens shut down the car and look at the sight glass. if fule is low maybe the needle valve where the gas enters the carb is stickky.(it lets the gas in then the float lowers)

I had one get stuck and it would run out of gas. I would wack on near where I though the valve was and then the gas would eneter the carb again.

If you have a weber carb You will not see this

also like Datzenmike said make sure gas is being squirted in also in the main barrel. make sure linak is pushing the plunger

this was happeing to Tana's 521 truck. it looked Ok but it was the carb.

also on safe side make sure your ignition is OK if you still run points distributor. maybe the gap is not big enough?

olddatsuns.com (the 620 tech section) has alot of info

Hey, totally right... looks are deceiving.

Thanks for all the tips. I will trouble shoot this weekend and see what happens. Yes, I am still running a points distributor. What should the gap be on this?

Any idea where I can get an electronic one?

I really want to do that mod.

No weber carb, just the stock hitachi down draft with the sight glass.

Thanks L motor God!!!

:lol:

I put the point at about 020 thou when the little block is on top of the LOBE.

as for the pertronix youll have to ck local.

If you want a later say 79 matchbox distributor those are failrly cheap also used but make sure you get the whole assembly.mount with the timming plate otherwise it wount be a direct rotor alighnment on #1 plug.

I/we dont know your ability on cars but once you learn youlll find that Im not a L motor god just that the others just dont know. I was once like YOU.