Wheel offset/ width for a 521

fisch

Hey guys, I have a torque thrust thread going in the truck section here.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=1622

But I wondered if someone had the answer to how wide you can go with a 521. How much + or - offset and or total width do I have to play with under those front fenders, and not get into turning problems?

I found some neat Cragers (in other thread) but they are 9' wide with a +20 offset.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you my Titan 18"s are 8" wide I have a thread somewhere with a tape measure on them...

Of course, I have a 620 but I know a few guys are running the Titans on there 521's. Maybe they can chime in with their clearances..

Back spacing in inches (you'll have to do the conversion :P)

P3280012.jpg

P3280010.jpg

Hope that helps some...

• 1 month later...

The Titans are 51/2" back space? Holy shit! I was thinking of putting the old wheels off my wifes Suburban on the 521. 16" and I think the width is 7 or 8". Lots of back space on them also. Anyone with a 521 have more info for us?

What size tires are you running with 18's?

Thanks

Jester

Hmm... 9" might be a bit wide... I don't think I'd trust running something like that on a 521, unless it's on the back. The offset sounds pretty neutral though... I think the truck offsets were like -5 to +15 or something, but don't quote me on that. But, I think +20 offset still gives it less than 5 1/2" backspacing, so if Titans fit the fronts (without spacers) then you ought to be good. But... the Cragers will stick over an inch further out, so you might rub on the fender, and if you need spacers then you're probably screwed... depending on the rim diameter, you might need to run either shorter or narrower tires, or roll the fenders, or even flare them... Unless the Cragers are free or really cheap, you might be better off finding another set, or getting a new set from a shop that you know will work (test fit!).

That is, unless someone can tell you for sure whether or not they'll fit...

I'm not looking at Cragers. I'm looking at Chevy Suburban wheels. The offset looks pretty close to that of the Titans(just eyeballing). I know I have seen others running these wheels. Just wondered if they had to space then out.

Jester

Jester: I was referring to Fisch's post up at the top... he mentions 9" Cragers...

As for the Chevy wheels... I'm not sure about the Suburban ones in particular, but it's been rumoured around here that you'll have to either bore out the center of the wheels, or grind down the hubs on your truck to make them fit... That's if you can't/don't want to use spacers...

Actually... there was another thread around here with a pretty in-depth exploration of Titans, IIRC...

OK guys. I know these rigs are metric, but, I AM NOT. All this +13, +10,+20 is confuseing the shit out of me. :blink:..........+?? from what? Stock? From O?

Just for the record, your saying that the wheel measures 9" from INSIDE of the bead to INSIDE of bead.

I went to Schwabs today and had them put a 225-50-16 crap tire on one of my wheels so I can check and see how they will fit. He even had to fix it so it would hold air and didn't even charge me. I know I will have to be down around 185 or195 on the front. Jsut looking to see what I'm up against.

Jester

Yeah, like Jester said, wheels are measured from the inside of the bead to the inside of the bead, not across the entire width... Unless you're buying wheels from a shop, I'd bring a tape measure to verify the width. I didn't know this myself for a long time either, so if you're buying wheels off an individual then I recommend double checking yourself.

Jester: Offset is the distance of the hub from the centerline of the rim. 0 offset means that the hub surface and wheel mate dead center of the rim... positive offset means that the hub is further out past the centerline, and negative offset means it's further in (I'm not exactly sure on directions, but I think that's it). So, assuming that a couple wheels have the exact same width, a wheel with a positive offset will sit further in than a wheel with 0 offset, and a wheel with negative offset will stick out the furthest. The lower the offset, the further out the wheel will stick. Offset is measured in mm.

Backspacing is the distance between the hub and the back of the wheel, and it's measured in inches... Backspacing and offset really come into play when you've got two wheels of different widths, such as above. Say you need 4" of backspacing... on an 8" wheel that'd dead center, which gives it an offset of 0. On a 9" wheel, however, the center line is 4.5" from the back of the wheel. That means that you need to move the wheel half an inch further out in order to have the same backspacing. Half an inch is roughly 13mm, and because you're moving the hub further in the offset is negative... therefore, an offset of -13.

Ya, I know about Possitive and negative back spaceing, I just didn't understand the Metric shit. Kinda had me confused. I think I'm just going to say to hell with it and just buy some new wheels.

I did try the setup I got at Schwabs tonight. I just don't see it working without putting some type of spacer in there. I don't like spacers.

Jester

• 4 weeks later...
To get stock 18" titan wheels on a 521, what needs to be done if anything? I know I have seen them but never have known the tech of it...

The center hole needs to be bored out to 4 inches & bout 1/2 deep so it'll fit over the hubs. Bleach posted a vid showing how you can do it yourself a few days ago......