Datsun Parts

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

This only applies to 620s:

If the first letter is a "K", it's a King Cab.

"H" and "P" are engine codes. In a 620, "P" is the L16 (72-72) and L18 in '74. In Nissan terminology "P" is an uprate engine (No code was a J13 engine, not used in the US in 620s). "H" is for an L20B engine.

"L" means Left Hand Drive. No code means right.

A "G" following the drive side code means long wheel base, which only applies to the longbed (both the King Cab and 4-door had LWB frames, but did NOT use the "G" chassis code).

In the US, only one code was used from '72-74: PL620.

In '75, 2 codes were used: HL620 and HLG620.

In '76-79, 3 codes were used: HL620, HLG620, and KHL620.

There also was a code for cab/chassis trucks which I can't remember. You'd see that on trucks that had unit-body campers or other specialty bodies, although many of those were actually regular trucks with beds that were converted.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

No way to tell from the VIN what transmission it had. Nissan didn't start adding option codes to the VIN plate (as separate entires) until 1980.

However, if you have a non-stock 4-speed (such as a 71-series) which was used in 74 and beyond, it's a better possibility that it was an AT-Manual swap. Also the gauge cluster will be different (M/T ones had a kickdown switch, AT ones didn't).

The kick-down switch was just a little switch in the speedometer that told the carb to go to idle when below 5MPH or so. It engaged the BCDD cut solenoid on the carb, vs the Automatic which used the inhibit relay on the fender (controlled by the transmisison). Only way to find it is to look for the wires coming out of the speedometer, because the switch is inside it, though the amplifier was mounted externally on the back of the cluster.

Hi gang.

Have a 620 instrument cluster. I believe it's an older model. Came with my truck as extra, but mine works just fine. This is collecting dust.

Would like to sell fast so please make an offer.

PM or email me via the link.

Thanks!

DSC07019.jpg

DSC07020.jpg

Is that the amplifier? The square box on the back of the speedo.