Alternator Options

Cruzn620

ok, a few of us had been discussing voltage and alternator issues in the BMW headlight thread, so i thought i would make a new thread on alternator set ups only, so it would be easier to find for future reference....

so i got online, looked around a bit and found some 100amp alternators on jegs.com. they were for a chevy (who would have guessed that) but they were already set up for a v-belt system and were one wire (which is what the datsun's are right??) it would take some custom bracketry to fit, along with possibly needing a longer belt (after you mounted it) but wouldnt this be a nice set up for those of us running large amps, compressors, and high powered lighting?

I really don't know much about electronics at this point (i know that you can't see electricity and it will knock the shit out of you...2 things...) but lets say i am running 2 compressors which are pulling 40 amps a piece...of course, running through a relay and not running very often. then i have a 600 watt amp which is hooked to a capaciter for peaks in the audio. i have 4 halogen lights up front and we'll say 4 incadecent tail lights...a 100amp altenator and deep cycle battery (my dad gets them free through his fishing sponsor) would be more than up to these demands...correct? post some other theories too!! thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Datsun alternators aren't really "one wire", and ones prior to '78 are externally regulated. The '78+ internally regulated ones need at least 2 wires hooked up to run, 3 to work properly, and 4 to light the idiot light. 2 of the wires are actually tied together at the wiring harness, which is somewhat odd, but both are needed (one generates the field. The reason for it being separate was to make it switchable, but Nissan opted just to tie it into the main harness). Those are the main output terminal and the "cross" of the T connector. The bottom of the T connector lights up the alternator light on the dash, but is also tells the auto-choke relay not to turn on when the ALT light is lit (so the choke doesn't heat up when the key is on but the engine's not running).

i think i got "forownd" on the search feature..maybe i had a typo or something but i couldnt find any alternator stuff when i searched...oh well. so i guess my big find for the day wasn't a big find after all...unless there is an easy way to make that one work. they make a 150amp alt. for s-10s, but they are serpatine belt, so you'd have to switch pulleys and if i remember when i changed mine last, they have a 4 wired just plug up connector in the back. i'll check that saturn thread out! thanks for linking that!

the four wire "plug-in" can be made to work, my '71 521 has one on it. i don't think mine is wired in just right, PO, but it seems to work alright.

as far as searching goes, it happens, you think you've searched for every concievable spelling, misspelling, group of words, single word, associated word... and somehow you miss it. i know it's happened to me before. just make good and sure there's no info already posted about it before you ask... i'm just lucky i've been around here for a lil while now, plus i'm a nerd and i go back and read old threads just to know what's in there. :D not a bad idea if you can't sleep or something.

p.s. we ever gettin pics of your s10? throw some in the non-datto thread for us. or maybe just for me... ;)