Header on a L20, Worth the money?

erikcarter

Has anyone gone from the stock manifold to a header? And how much power did you notice if any? Also what size exhaust to most of you have with a aftermarket cam in your L series? I heard that these motors want a lot of back pressure and I am wondering if I need to change my exhaust to a smaller size. Right now I have 2 and a 1/4 inch pipe all the way out through a magnaflow, sounds awesome but I am wondering if I am getting too much flow. Thanks, Erik

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry mike :lol:

This is from a 720 forum

Headers:

Leak or bolts come loose... and it leaks.

Are loud' date=' sound ok for a few weeks then you get sick of it.

PITA to install, cut up perfectly good down pipe to do it.

Are annoyingly loud

Unlike new rims, no-one can see it when cruising around but in 6 months it's all rusty and looks like shit anyway so you stop showing off the motor.

After 3-4 weeks you give up looking for those extra 10-15 hp they are supposed to make.

Did I mention they are loud?

You would gladly put the stock manifold back on, but you threw it out, remember

While, yet again, tightening the bolts or replacing the gasket, you say to yourself... " I paid $200.. for THIS???"

Are like high maintenance girl friend... always needing attention and loud.[/quote']

Edited by h2theizzo

I would say do not bother getting a header. save your money and time. If you build a motor with more top end power then consider it and if you do get it coated or make a stainless one and either coat or wrap it. lowering the temps would be a big help

Yeah, headers are not needed unless you've built a specifially high-flow race engine. At which point you'll gladly pay 800 for someone to hand weld a custom header.

Most inexpensive headers fit like crap. And they leak. (Not being funny, dead serious)

For most L motor purposes, the stock L16 manifold works great. It's what I have on my L20. Granted you need to grind out the smog port bumps on the inside, but that's not too hard to do. Just takes a while.

Edited by HRH
And how much power did you notice if any?

youd probably see ~2hp w/o anything else done to the system.

2-1/4 should be fine.

w/a stock L16 mani(on the LZ24), swapping from 3'' to 2-1/2'' the low end improved significantly and i havent noticed any change in the top end.

if it was free, and then installed for free, id consider it.