Problems starting in the cold.

I have a 1976 Datsun 620 truck and am having problems getting it started in the morning. I have researched this and most of the time it is the battery, but I have just bought a new battery and it didn't help.

It is about 50 degrees here at night and I cannot get the truck started when it cools down. 50 degrees is not nearly enough to require a block heater.

The only way to get it started is going out with a hair dryer and warming up the left side of the engine block where the spark plugs are. What could be causing this problem?

Also I am wondering what this little black pulling switch directly below my below my ignition in the cabin is? I can pull or push it and it seems to be connected to the carburetor. I cant get pictures to work on here so i hope this is enough.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I am wondering what this little black pulling switch directly below my below my ignition in the cabin is? I can pull or push it and it seems to be connected to the carburetor. I cant get pictures to work on here so i hope this is enough.

That black pulling thing is most likely the choke.Have you pulled it and then started it. My truck had that too but it was on the center dash,in the mornings yank on that and it would fire up,and then when it warmed up push it back in.

That would be my guess on that,I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed on the 620's but if it's hooked to the carb it the choke.Try it.

I just pulled it out all the way, pump the gas 2-3 times?, start it,let it warm up abit till it took throttle good, push it back in slowly till it ran good enough to drive and it was fine. But ya pull it that will close the butterfly in or on the carb.You'll figure it out if thats the problem. I would try that to see if that is it.

Thank you. I think that is the problem. I tried it and it didn't help much, but when it did start it stayed on much quicker. So it is closing but not all of the way. I am going to get the choke tuned up and hopefully that will fix it.

Datsuns are cold blooded. Here are a few things to help.

First, is the ignition system in good shape? Check things out. Adjust the valves, check the timing. A little extra advance will help the engine start, but do not advance it so far it knocks whan warm.

On carburetors with a choke, pump the throttle a few times. While holding the throttle, pull the choke all the way out. Now crank it. Let it warm up a bit before you drive it.

As you are driving it, you can push the choke back in.

normal compression on a L-16 is about 170 psi. The service limit is 159 psi. Low compression will make it hard to start.

Hope this helps

Thank you. That really helped. It fired right up when I did things in that order. I am thinking about putting a new carburetor in because the accelerator pump seems to be on it's last leg. The carburetor I have bought has an auto choke on it. What will happen to the choke knob? Can I take it out? Will the auto choke adjust in cold weather?

Thank you. That really helped. It fired right up when I did things in that order. I am thinking about putting a new carburetor in because the accelerator pump seems to be on it's last leg. The carburetor I have bought has an auto choke on it. What will happen to the choke knob? Can I take it out? Will the auto choke adjust in cold weather?

I just left mine there for looks,but if you take it out you'll have a empty spot there you could put something there. I don't know too much about auto/electric chokes,I like manual you know it will work. But electric I think comes on when ignition is turned on,I don't know what turns it off?? But you'll get someone that knows.

• 3 weeks later...

msd ignition helps in cold starts as well im glad you figured it out , this morning when i left for work at 5am in central new york it was 30 degrees out and my car fired right up full choke 3 pumps and a msd no cough no nothing push the choke in all the way in about 10 seconds and it purrs unitll warm just sputters when you take off and its not to temp