Looking to pull more.

elmerfudpucker

Ok , I got a 81 720 it has the z22 with a 5 speed. Exhaust is done from manifold back, new clutch about 4 months ago. I am not looking for and engine swap if I can help it. Top speed is not an issue, I want more pulling power. I am guessing the rearend gearing is what I need to change and the carb.

The trailer I got sits at the 1K lb. mark empty and I look to hit the 2K lb mark loaded. Any ideas fellas? BTW the trailer used to be a 79 longbed datsun. Would post pics but I dont have an image hosting site set up yet. I am in the Tacoma, WA area so if someone has what I need then give me a yell, 206-391-6663.

I would do the motor swap I am guessing the z24 would be my target motor unless you guys has a better option. There was an older fella in Bonnie Lake Area that had a built Z24 I would nearly give my left nut for but I lost his contact info. He restores old dumptrucks and retired from nissan, he was a mechanic there I think. I bought a power stearing system from him.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

z24 is not bad if you want a straight forward swap. carb will help so will the rear but you kind of sacrifice mpg and or cruise speed. It's already got a 4.375 rear in there which is pretty healthy but can be improved. My 89 d21 I think is 4.62 I would never want to be any taller then that. They make a 5.38 ring and pinion for it though.

If you drop in a dif engine or take the head off yours work it a little, there is a lot of improvement to be had in that z heads. You could mill it as well to raise compression, that helps out low end tq a bunch.

You could supercharge it lol.

Let datzenmike chime in he's better on this topic then most.

Edited by 72240z

If 2wd it could have 3.889 rears. The reg cab long bed had 4.11s in it. Autos had 4.375s. Look on the aliminum tag under the pass side hood hinge on the inner fender. Near bottom line is trans/axle..... FS5W71b..... HG38 or somethiong like that. The HG is the axle and the 38 means 3.889, 41 would be 4.11 and so on.

Z24 is the easiest swap. You could also use your clutch/flywheel on it if all you can find is an auto. Just in case keep the Z24 motor mounts. The Z24 is 2cm taller than the Z22.

Look at it this way..... With a lot of work you can get an L20B to make say 150 hp. But it will bee working damn hard to do it. Also you will need extras like an oil cooler, spray bar for the cam to keep it reliable so it doesn't blow up next week. OR you can get a KA or VG motor and tranny cheaper that makes the same hp and do it all day with no strain at all.

the "getting more out of a 720" has been gone over and over so much..... but still the answers are not great.

Do your basics... tune up, are the tires aired up properly?

Also if you opened up the exhaust too much it may be hurting the towing power of your truck. I personally like the z22 better than the z24 and the power difference is very little. The z22 handles its headgaskets a tad better too. Honestly there is no easy answer to your issue... a KA swap will be good but not spectacular same results with a VG... its just not as much BANG as you will expect. Stick with what you got, treat it well and enjoy your little wonderslug.:)

Your Z22 head is designed to accept injectors.....not like the Z24

I believe there is still a 200sx EFI assembly 4 sale on this site.....?

It is comparable to a Weber ....relative to acceleration/response.

Mileage should increase

Plus the EFI looks really good...:D.....and you now (after the fact) have become somewhat

more proficient in.......much more:)

Done it...but I had to aug my Z24 head to accept the injectors.

Kinda sucked when you can't see what you're grinding....engine in truck and all.

Edited by Sealik

If its that easy to put the injected intake on I would do it. But I would run the computer from the 90-92 KA powered stanza. It can do real time tuning with a $50 mod.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/432186-adding-consult-port

I think you would need the distrubutor from a tbi Z24 and its oil pump drive shaft. It should start up and run with the base tune on it. But there is also a tune for the Z24 already.

-Avery

the "getting more out of a 720" has been gone over and over so much..... but still the answers are not great.

Do your basics... tune up, are the tires aired up properly?

Also if you opened up the exhaust too much it may be hurting the towing power of your truck. I personally like the z22 better than the z24 and the power difference is very little. The z22 handles its headgaskets a tad better too. Honestly there is no easy answer to your issue... a KA swap will be good but not spectacular same results with a VG... its just not as much BANG as you will expect. Stick with what you got, treat it well and enjoy your little wonderslug.:)

It isnt so much I want to do wheel stands or the like I just want a bit more towing ability. Now what size exhaust do you recommend to keep towin power at the max? I think I am at 2" at the moment. Tune up and tires is a given and done. If I could get maybe 5% more out of it I would be good. I was thinking pulling all the emmission crap off but I have been reading that it doesnt make any changes to power. I have a better air filter in it. Stronger battery and better ground straps but I still need a bit more. Maybe the carb and a bigger rearend ring and I would be good.

Sealik, Thanks for the pics but I am tring to avoid ripping the motor apart, it runs with no leaks or issues, and me with a grinding tool is not a good idea.

Edited by elmerfudpucker