Speedometer cable?

ok, so my 72 datsun 510 wagon had a automatic in it, and the cable going to the speedo is WAAAY to long for use on my manual transmission I pulled from a 1980 510 wagon.

the 80 unfortunately uses a quick disconnect on its spedometer, so, the cable ends are differant. the lower portion of both cables mates up fine with the gear assembly that goes into the transmission, but, the ends going to the speedometer are differant. they use the same drive system, and the cable from the 80 will spin the speedo on the 72, but it wont go in all the way nor do i have a way to secure it.

so, the question I have, is before I go to a speedo shop and have them shorten the 72's cable...is there a shorter cable that will use the screw in design on the speedo like my 72 has, or am I going to have to go with custom work? did the manual 510's have a shorter cable than the autos?

any help would be greatly appriciated...

p.s. the transmission is out of the 80...its a 4spd manual, and it fits nicely to the cable from the 72...its just that the 72's cable is about 4 feet too long.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hrm...well, thats shorter than the cable thats in there now...the cable that was on the 80 is 55"...it looks like for some reason on the 72 there was a coupler with a sensor hooked to it...has a couple wires comming out of it, and the cable is alot longer than the 70" one you linked.

i will measure tomarrow and see if there is a way to route a 70" cable...I might be able to run it in a way that will take up the extra 15"...I will check in the morning.

I take it there aren't really any other datsun speedo cables under the 70" mark, cause I was looking through rock auto parts as you were posting your reply and all the cables i found were 70" or longer.

the main issue I am having is that the speedo sending unit, gear, or whatever you want to call it, is on the drivers side, the same side as the cable, so in order to avoid the exhaust, they used a very short cable.

anyway, thanks for the link :)