Need VG30 6 banger help!

cornfedlifer

Please Advise,

I am considering a vg30 swap into my 510. I have found a complete 1988 low mile vg30 with an automatic and harness/electronics....

Can I easily put a t5 five speed behind it and call it done or an I going to run into trouble with the auto-trans wiring....

P.S. can we make a vg30 sticky?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

88 was a good year, 88/89 were the 2nd gen blocks which actually made a cunt hair more power but more importantly had extra coolant gallys cast into them. The 88/89 also uses a 32 bit ecu instead of 16bit. The manual and auto ecu's are different. I would buy a 5 speed harness and ecu and just make things easier on yourself. You can sell the auto ecu/harness/tranny so it's not like its that bad price wise.

You'll also need to do other basic shit like pull the auto pilot bearing and press in a manual one.

Edited by 72240z

good luck selling the vg auto stuff nobody wants it. if it was me id steer clear of it and try and find a swap with a manual trans, harness, ecu. Unless you already have a the manual flywheel, clutch, etc etc all those parts are kinda hard to get and expensive new. it will nickel and dime you to death. been their done it.

auto or 5 speed ecu's make zero difference. You can just bolt up the 5 speed transmission without any probs. My 87 was originally an auto and is currently rocking a t-5 but its making noise and making room for a z32 transmission. Good luck with the swap and post pics!!

p.s check out courtesy nissans site they have pilot bearings available instead of the crappy bronze bushing pilots! peace.

VG30 parts are not hard to get. Most decent import parts places or NAPA has the flywheels in stock and clutches are everywhere from stock to wild. I would suggest against the T-5 for the sake that it is pretty darn big compared to the regular Z31 trans and will require more cutting of the trans tunnel. Also, a friend of mine put one in his 510 and the gearing was awful.

auto or 5 speed ecu's make zero difference.

You shouldn't say that so matter of factly. They are dif fuel maps,idles and one has a rev limiter. Can you do it? Sure, but in my opinion those are differences.

ummm, they're maps are identical and they ALL have rev limiters. The ONLY thing that can change fuel maps are the dependencies on the CHTS. For instance, my 87 and older Z's relied heavily on the CHTS but the 88's and up dont. As a matter of fact they don't hardly care about it at all and its part of the increase in HP too for the later Z's. I have owned roughly 8 z31's over the years but I am in no way an expert on them. This is just the info I have personally experienced and dealt with over the years. peace.

FS5W71C trans out of a z31 car would do ya.....Icehouse I believe is using a z31 bell on a KA trans just for shifter location. Just try to get the driveshaft while your getting the trans or you will be in the same boat I am now, finding a driveshaft that fits into the trans.....ughhhh. Im just learning about these thing myself, what Ive learned is the Borg Warner T5 sucks and is easily identitied by the half rod looking cast along the top in front of the shifter and its huge bulky size. Its a little tricky I learned when tying to learn about the z31 trans theres like 4 diffrent sizes in splines on those things