A question regarding T3 flanged turbos on KA24DE engines

ichorid

Hey guys. So I have been reading quite a bit about turbos in the past few months. The time is at hand to order the parts to boost my dime.

Heres is what I am wanting some advice on.

Holset HX35w. I have read that they are amazing last forever* and can boost for the long haul. Can hit the 350whp mark in a 240sx with a sane build. And require little modification over a standard Garrett or Turbonetics T3/T04e.

Here's where Im lost. I have found on ebay Holset HX35w turbos that have 12cm exhaust housings (perfect for what Im looking for) And some with 14cm outs. To me the lag from running anything bigger than 12cm would be ridiculous in a 510, and I would never hit full boost unless I rode 5krpms.

For some reason people are still picking up the ones with 14cm exhaust outlets and then going with http://www.htturbo.com/ 12cm modification.

Im cool with going that route but it doesnt make sense. When it appears to the same turbo. Id much rather rip one off ebay for ~300 bucks, have it rebuilt and be good to go.

Any how if any one has any knowledge with KA's and Holset turbos they'd like to share, Id really appreciate it. Im trying to sponge up as much as possible. Also if any one knows a reputable shop in Los Angeles that rebuilds or sells rebuilt Holsets that would be rad too.

And to counter balance. Does any one have anything to chime in about NOT using holset? is it worth it to just order a new turbonetics T3/t04e .50 trim and call it a day? Im not scared about the price or anything, it just "seems" from what I read that Holset stomps on Garret and Turbonetics when it comes to low end and max boost. adding spooling time is ok since Id rather have a more sustained ride up to max rather than a full on blast to the engine in a down shift.

Well thanks in advance guys. Reading so much is making me feel like I know even less because I have SO much more to learn.

*150k easy on a diesel.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what is your target horsepower? why do you specifically want this turbo? the hx35 will be laggy no matter what you do, specially with a ka. using this turbo will also require at the minimum a SAFC or nistune, not to mention some better pistons than the stock ka.

I just scored a really REALLY good deal from a guy on KA-T so the HX is out for now. target HP is +300.

I just bought from the KA-T member

"Turbo is a Turbonetics .58 a/r .60 trim (puts down roughly 400whp at 24psi)

Injectors are MSD 72lbs (820cc) good for around 500whp on a 4cyl. (injectors will come with the injector harness)

Rail is JGY billet aluminum TOP FEED.

Fuel Pressure regulator

And for a little more I got his JWT Ecu setup for this setup. Now I have a spare JWT ecu setup for 740cc injectors and a T3/T04e turbo.

I wont be shooting for those target HP numbers at all. 300 ballpark Im happy. Tune down my more than capable setup.

More power=more parts to upgrade=more $$$ :D

I'm only running 7psi on my my Turbonetics turbo and I already have some things that need upgrading. The clutch was the first thing to complain about the slight power increase. :D The other issue is traction. :eek: