520 manual now available

I've owned the website for over a year and a half and my wife scanned these files nearly a year ago. I finally sat down and figured out how to change the web page to show the files I've uploaded!

Anyway.....I've uploaded a complete 520 factory service manual. I couldn't figure out how to get the single pdf file of the entire manual small enough to be allowed to upload. So, the manual is in sections, which actually makes it a lot quicker to download and navigate.

http://www.olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm

Next time I get a chance, I think I may try to change the page name from 620 tech to Datsun Tech :) With a little bit of luck, I'll be able to put a bunch of older sedan info on here within the next few months :)

.....and yes....it's a free download just like all the others on that page :cool:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With a little bit of luck, I'll be able to put a bunch of older sedan info on here within the next few months :)

Just how old we talking Mike???:D

BTW I've told you, but also want to express it to the forum, you are a true Datsun hero in my eyes. An asset to the Datsun community at large. And I thank you for it.

The l18 l16 manual you scanned has been a big help to me over the years!

Just know you are appreciated! Even all the way out here on the right coast.:D

Mike, I guess I can quit scanning my manual. I have been scanning sections as I needed them with the intension of once I had it all scanned I would offer it up to you for your site. I have a 1976 620 manual & a 1980 720 manual. Would you have any interest in scans of these for your website.

Also, If you change the name of your website, create an email address with the same name as the website it makes it easier to keep track of.:)

Just how old we talking Mike???:D

BTW I've told you, but also want to express it to the forum, you are a true Datsun hero in my eyes. An asset to the Datsun community at large. And I thank you for it.

The l18 l16 manual you scanned has been a big help to me over the years!

Just know you are appreciated! Even all the way out here on the right coast.:D

I was chatting with one of our 411 guys that has a bunch....nothing as old as yours...sorry.

Mike, I guess I can quit scanning my manual. I have been scanning sections as I needed them with the intension of once I had it all scanned I would offer it up to you for your site. I have a 1976 620 manual & a 1980 720 manual. Would you have any interest in scans of these for your website.

Also, If you change the name of your website, create an email address with the same name as the website it makes it easier to keep track of.:)

The 720 stuff is getting a bit too new for me, but I suppose I could put it up. Check the site to see if we already have the 620 one up. Thanks for thinking of us and being willing to share the manuals! If you told me you were going to scan the 520 and I didn't say anything....I must have completely spaced it! :( I won't put up any manuals that are still in print, but most of these factory ones are long, long out of print. :)

TY for all the time consuming work you do Mike. This info. is invaluable & is pretty much vital for any Datsun guy. TY for making it available to us all.

You bet. When I bought a new printer last xmas, I specifically got one with a sheet feed scanner. I took several hundred magazines, cut out what I wanted, then scanned them all. I emptied out 4 two foot long shelves...plus some :)

Thank you! I love the portability of these .pdf's...

It's nice to fit everything on a thumb drive or cd, but the downside is not being able to flip through the hard copy while working in the shop.

TY for all the time consuming work you do Mike. This info. is invaluable & is pretty much vital for any Datsun guy. TY for making it available to us all.

Your dedication to providing info to this site does not go unnoticed. Thank-you.

You're welcome guys.

The more exciting part for me is actually figuring out how to make a change to my site!!

Bre620 built that site and he transferred everything over to this domain name and my hosting account. If he ever gets involved in datsuns again, I plan on letting him have the 620 site back again. I do have some plans for putting up my "how-to's" on the site, but I haven't made it that far yet. Maybe one of these days :)

i might be able to scan in my 73 620 manual with the extra pages i got with it if that would help. it'll take me a bit but if it'll help i am more than happy to. i know alot of guys are having a hard time finding it and although the 74 manual helps, its just not the same :)

It's more about helping you guys. I have hard copies of pretty much everything I might ever need, but I spent hundreds of $'s to aquire them. Heck...Unkle, the donor of the 520-521 parts manual(800pages), out bid me in an ebay auction for that book....he won at just over $300!!! I had posted that I wanted to scan it and put it on the site...he didn't see it. He ended up having it scanned and sent me the file(free) to host on the site. The seller sure won on that one!!! :(

Basically...what I've done in the past is...... If you have a out of print factory manual that you want to share, you can send it to me and I'll scan it. Back then, Bre620 did all the scanning and posting, but I have a sheet feed scanner now. Probably the biggest hurdle is that the binding needs to be cut off. I will not stand at a photocopier and copy a bound manual(unless it's only about 20 pages). If you want to do that and then send me the stack of copies....cool. Otherwise, I cut the binding off, have it copied(the brand new paper goes through the scanner better....and it gives me a backup hardcopy just in case)....then I send the original manual back. If the owner of the manual wants, I will hole punch it and put it in a 3 ring binder to send back.

I think it was running me around $20-40 for the copies/binder, depending on the size of the manual. It's still not free for me, but this is the best/largest collection of free datsun manuals that I know of :)

If the '73 620 manual is different than the '74 that's already on the site....cool....otherwise, I can't see spending the money to do a duplicate. Maybe just do the extra pages that are different.

Thank you Mike for all of the different manuals on your site. If it wasnt for these manuals then people like myself that do not have alot of experience with these unique rides would not be able to figure out what is causing our problems and then fix them. I have had to go several times and look up information so that i can troubleshoot my '70 521 truck just to keep it up and running proper, and when the clutch hydralics went out i had the info readily available to me for the repairs. please keep up the awesome work and if i ever come across any books i havent found on your site i will gladly send them your way so that you may post them to your site.

Terry

a.k.a

freebie1600:

:D:D;)

The '74 truck used the F4W63L tranny and the L16 motor for the first two months and then switched to the F4W71B and L18 in September. As long as the '74 manual had these earlier trannys listed and the L16 specs the '73 manual would basically be covered.

If you have a kinkos or Office Depot, you might check with them....you can usually just take the pdf file in there on a thumb drive and they'll print it for you...........for the $'s, it's a ton faster and a lot easier on your equipment.