what to use for rust in hard places to get to !

what to do  

5 members have voted

1. 1. what to do

Some folks have some good points and advice and others sound contradictory and combative. Restoration shops will tell you, "Rust by no means should be covered up. It should be eliminated." This is the proper way to do things in the restoration circle.

Products that cover up rust and prevent further oxidation have its uses but is not ideal (opinion only). What this means is that everyones "rust situation" is different and depending on your level of expertise and willingness to spend money makes the decision for you.

I grew up on the saltwater and my boat trailer was starting to suffer. I wire wheeled the steel and removed all the surface rust. I then used a fiberglass paint (google it) and never had to touch it again. It turned out great and was very presentable.

Yes, I could have spent thousands and had a place grind to bare metal, treat, and paint the trailer but instead I used my method and the results have been the same if not better for the last 10 years.

Fiberglass paint has fiberglass infused which bonds together when it dries basically creating an airtight rock solid seal.

To each his own!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1)Too late

2)Agreed

3)Bullshit.With proper prep, any good etching primer will "grab it" just like metal.

4)Just as i thought-subjective opinon.

5)Not a matter of loving it-It's a matter of it never failing me.

Yup.POR-15 now sells a Etching primer to be applied right over their coatings.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Your point Steve. there is only one way to do it right the rust has to go. but that way will cost thousands of dollars that the average RATSUN owner does not have. If restoring cars is your profession than I would expect you would have a better solution than POR 15. If I spent 30 grand or more on a fully restored datto I would pray to Jay Leno I would never have to worry about rust again. But!! for the vast majority of us "back yard hacks"angry.gif that have spent thousands of hours and every spare penny we can beg , borrow or steal repairing, upgrading, modifying and crawling around on the cold dirty floors of our cramped poorly lit and under equipped garages for the shear love of the Datsun. Yeah, the POR 15 is fine. I'm glad your so much better than us, it really brings up the property value.twofinger_salute.gif

• Like 1

jesus christ you guys are still butt hurt about this..... i am not better than anyone.... i am a penny pincher too but in many cases just some simple knowledge can save so much time and money and get a far better result that will last a very long time.... I have seen the negative results of adding materials that no manufacturer would even consider on a new car or even certify as part or method of a repair... (yes all repairs you do on a car are supposed to be certified methods that the manufacturer approves/provides) these methods even apply to the 510 and 240-z...and anyway more materials = more problems and chances of product failure... keep it simple and to a minumum..... Knowledge guys seriously.