2 oil dipsticks on an L16 engine?

SHIFT

I recently bought a 620 pickup with a manual transmission. I was just looking at the engine and it has a second oil dipstick tube (the tube is actually shaped like a "Y") coming up in front of the oil filter.

The main dipstick is positioned further back and is intact. The one in front has a broken stick so it's essentially just a weird y shaped dipstick tube with a broken dipstick in one opening and nothing on the other.

Is this a stock dipstick tube? Can I eliminate it? I'm getting some oil in my engine compartment and I think that it may be coming from this dipstick port. would I have to tap the hole to fit it with a threaded plug or is there some kind of press-in plug that will work?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures.

I can't find any Ls with dual dip holes. Maybe this is one of those import L18 engines of the '80? Look on the block just below the head behind the rear dipstick handle. The engine size should be stamped on a flat space there. Does it have an A-87 head?

You can shove a piece of brass stock in the hole and hammer it tight to seal it up.

i have had l20b's with 2 dipstick's one was for the front sump pan and the other for a rear sump pan so figure out witch pan you have and delete the one you dont need. if i remember right 620's are rear sump

It has a rear sump pan. I'll eliminate the guide tube in front.

Do you know if the guide tube just pops out? or is it threaded?

Pictures.

I can't find any Ls with dual dip holes. Maybe this is one of those import L18 engines of the '80? Look on the block just below the head behind the rear dipstick handle. The engine size should be stamped on a flat space there. Does it have an A-87 head?

You can shove a piece of brass stock in the hole and hammer it tight to seal it up.

the later model l16 i had was a crate moter from japan and it also had the dual dipstick

Pictures.

Looks like it says L16 on the block. How can I tell what head it has?

l16w532.jpg

Look between the first and second spark plug on the head just above the block. This one says W-53. Generally, (may not be the case with JDM) letter heads (W-53/W-58/U-67) are for L18/L20B motors while number heads like 210 and 219 are for L16 motors.

Look between the first and second spark plug on the head just above the block. This one says W-53. Generally, (may not be the case with JDM) letter heads (W-53/W-58/U-67) are for L18/L20B motors while number heads like 210 and 219 are for L16 motors.

I have an L16 block with a W53 head. I want to get a Weber conversion kit- which one do I get?:mellow: