Dying issues

So I have been trying to figure out what is making my truck die while I am driving it. It seems like it runs out of fuel. I checked my fuel filters and the are not clogged my fuel pump is working I can hear it when I turn on the key the carb is a rebuilt unit that I purchased about a year back . I checked the float level it is up to the line.

Today I put the rear end on jack stands and ran it through the gears and it didn't do it. But if I drive it down the street after I get it into third it dies on me and I pull over wait a second it starts back up and then as I start to accelerate it dies more frequently than it did before. It just started doing this a while back and never did it before I wanna get this figured out so I can sell my truck.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you are actually driving it down the street it is pulling more fuel then when its sitting still being revved up. The engine is working much harder. What you have is an air leak in your fuel line. I guarantee it. I have seen this exact thing before. At about 3rd gear your float bowl dries out and cannot fill up fast enough. On those later 620s there are a lot of fuel lines for return and such. You need to chase all your fuel lines down and examine them very closely. Also examine the emissions box that I believe is somewhere near the tank or fuel fill. I have heard of them rotting out and causing pressure issues before. Replace all the rubber hoses.

Drive it hard till it quits and immediately shut the key off and get it out of gear, carefully pull over. You have to do this quickly once it quits! Now check the carb float bowl. I bet it is empty of gas. This could be a bad pump, loose clamp/air leak or most likely a clogged filter/line.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yeah that emissions box is under the passenger side rear inner fender well right by the fuel fill its in good shape I never noticed it before but yesterday while I was hooking up the fuel line to the gas tank I looked up and saw it. Good looking out guys and yes I am a dumbass and kicked myself for not solving that issue sooner.