water pump bolt broke

moparvwfreak

does anyone know off hand what size the small WP bolts are??? one broke on my L20 and i will most likely need to Heli-coil the whole. i cant seem to find my tap and die sets so getting the size right is not real easy right now.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just now figured out it was a through bolt into the block that broke. fun. does ANYONE know if the bolts from my L16 will swap over to the L20? i dont see why they wouldn't but i am gonna be spending this afternoon TRYING to get the broken bolt out.

edit..... got the broken piece out and figured out that it was the bolt that is preinstalled on the clutch style WP that broke. anyone have an idea on how to go about replacing that short of replacing the water pump???? the same bolt is missing off my L16 as well. common problem????

Edited by moparvwfreak

was it the long one with a 10mm head?

if so, you may have trouble getting it back in with the fan clutch in the way...

I haven't ever taken apart the fan clutch because they're full of fluid.

at least you got the broken part out! that's the gnarly part.

if you wanted to simplify, you could run a clutchless fan and shroud from an L16.

Is this a new water pump or are you re-using one?

the one i have is the one off the motor. but i might have to reuse it

was it the long one with a 10mm head?

if so, you may have trouble getting it back in with the fan clutch in the way...

I haven't ever taken apart the fan clutch because they're full of fluid.

at least you got the broken part out! that's the gnarly part.

if you wanted to simplify, you could run a clutchless fan and shroud from an L16.

yup. that be the critter. the one on my L16 is a clutchless but i like the clutch fan setup. IF i have to i can use that one but its missing the same bolt. plus i am missing a bolt for the clutchless fan as well.

surprisingly it was easy to get teh bolt out. smacked the rough top smooth with my little sledge and drilled it enough to tap a bolt remover in. and it came out within 3 min of starting. as did the broken exhaust stud. sheared off at the manifold so i had some meat to grab. came out like it was just installed.

The clutches are pressed on so you can 'take it apart' but you won't get it off. You got nothing to loose so cut the pump housing just enough to get a new bolt into the hole from the side. There will still be lots of gasket to seal it.

Sure. It's actually a better idea. :o

know what size and thread pitch i would need so i can get one Wednesday????

i had 2 broken water pump bolts a few months back. i took off my water pump to slot the studs with my dremel disc and they just unscrewed with my fingers without even sloting them. i never helicoil. i always drill and tap back to original size.

mine came out nice and easy but i had to use a bolt out as it was snapped close to the block. but it came out nice and easy otherwise.

as for the helicoil, i didn't need it luckily but there are times that i have tapped to original size and it just stripped out again. so it does help when all else fails. :) moms intake manifold on her Jetta has a helicoiled bolt. torqued down just fine and still holding.

Edited by moparvwfreak