Oil vent on L16 block??

Corona Cowboy

Im partakeing in my first Datsun build and have a LIL question. After removeing the intake/exhaust manifold I found the oil vent that heads to the intake (ugly little hole just below and to the right of the center exhaust ports). Is this a necessity? Either way I considered running the Valve cover vent into it or somthing along those lines. All respones are appreciated. Thanx.

Corona Cowby.

100_5904.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The hole you are talking about in your block should have a metal pipe in it that connects with a tapered rubber hose to the PCV that should be screwed into the intake manifold below the carburetor. The one on your valve cover goes to your air cleaner. Search it out there are several postings about it on this sight that include pictures.

The hole you are talking about in your block should have a metal pipe in it that connects with a tapered rubber hose to the PCV that should be screwed into the intake manifold below the carburetor. The one on your valve cover goes to your air cleaner. Search it out there are several postings about it on this sight that include pictures.

I should have been a little more specific. I know what and where it is. I just wonder if I could eliminate it from the intake and tap into the vavle cover vent instead. It would still have vacum/venting abitlity, just from a diffrent source.

personally what I would do and have seen is people put a pipe back and then route a hose to a crankcase breather tank. this way in case of any blowby the catch can catches the fumes and oil. you can also route a breather hose from the valve cover also to the breather tank.

First, the PCV valve has no effect on performance and everything to do with keeping the inside of your engine clean. Always run with it in factory working condition.

You may know what and where it is, but if you knew how it worked you would not ask this question. The PCV valve is a very small one way valve connected to the intake and using the intake vacuum to suck water, oil, gas and combustion vapors from inside the engine and allow them to mix with the fuel air and be burned in the combustion chamber. As vapors are removed, fresh air is drawn down from the air filter and into the valve cover vent to replace them.

If the vent hole in the side of the block was connected to the valve cover vent, creating a closed loop, eventually combustion blow by would build pressure inside the motor and perhaps blow out the valve cover gasket. Or worse, there is also the risk of these trapped fuel vapors igniting and causing an explosion.

Without the PCV system your oil will become contaminated with water, gas and oil condensed from vapors when the engine cools down, and need changing more often. The PCV system is benign in operation and has NO effect on running.

Edited by datzenmike
First, the PCV valve has no effect on performance and everything to do with keeping the inside of your engine clean. Always run with it in factory working condition.

You may know what and where it is, but if you knew how it worked you would not ask this question. The PCV valve is a very small one way valve connected to the intake and using the intake vacuum to suck water, oil, gas and combustion vapors from inside the engine and allow them to mix with the fuel air and be burned in the combustion chamber. As vapors are removed, fresh air is drawn down from the air filter and into the valve cover vent to replace them.

If the vent hole in the side of the block was connected to the valve cover vent, creating a closed loop, eventually combustion blow by would build pressure inside the motor and perhaps blow out the valve cover gasket. Or worse, there is also the risk of these trapped fuel vapors igniting and causing an explosion.

Without the PCV system your oil will become contaminated with water, gas and oil condensed from vapors when the engine cools down, and need changing more often. The PCV system is benign in operation and has NO effect on running.

Yeah my motor guru gave me the same run down early on in the day but Ive been under the Datsun and had not been back to update. I understand all the benifits and will at least make it a lil more attractive. Thanx all for the input.