choke wont choke

Braden

this is probably a newb question but how to you install and adjust the electric choke on a stock l20b hitachi carb, mine has been messed up since i got it and i cant for the life of me decide wether or not the choke plate shaft goes inside the hook on the choke coil or behind it, the problem is i can get the choke to stay on when the engine is cold but when it warms up it wont go off, and if i adjust it to off when the engine is hot it wont close when its cold? a little help woul dbe good, it sucks having to sit there and dick with the truck for 10 min before i can drive it

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The coil inside the choke cover has a small loop on it's outside. Install it with the lever for the choke plate inside the loop. When engine is cold rotate the choke cover untill the choke plate just closes. You may find that as the weather gets colder you may have to increase this setting to get proper starts and runs.

With engine running you should measure around 12 volts on the Blue wire going to the choke heater. Without this the choke won't warm up and shut off properly.

ghettobraden:

I can relate to your choke problem. Datzenmike knows what he's talking about! I'm dealing with a stock Hitachi DCH-340 carb choke problem with my '77 620 as well. The mornings are dipping down to 40 degrees F here, and it's like starting up my '65 Pontiac. I have my choke wired fully open for now. I've removed and voltage tested my choke cover (choke heater) and it checks good (deflects counterclockwise approx. 85 degrees when heated). I found out my fenderwell mounted choke relay is burnt up, providing no 12 volts to the choke heater. I have searched for a replacement relay with no success, so I'm going to wire up a more modern Nissan "blue plastic" relay I found at PullaPart and try to make it work. Having your choke and fast idle working correctly on a cold morning is a big plus!

Dan

thanks dan, thanks everyone, i got the choke working great and i adjust the idle and it ran kick ass until the primary venturi popped out:eek:, its the model of hitachi with non removeable venturis!!! i have an older model with non removeable venturis that i am going to swap out soon, so im kinda back to square one on the tuning as i had to take the choke off to fix the venturi and all of my adjust ments are out of whack because when i put the venturi in it wouldnt idle like it did, oh well i guess i will get to it sometime soon when im not working, this going to school full time and working full time is shit, i dont see how people live on 8 bucks an hour:confused::confused::confused:

The coil inside the choke cover has a small loop on it's outside. Install it with the lever for the choke plate inside the loop. When engine is cold rotate the choke cover untill the choke plate just closes. You may find that as the weather gets colder you may have to increase this setting to get proper starts and runs.

With engine running you should measure around 12 volts on the Blue wire going to the choke heater. Without this the choke won't warm up and shut off properly.

with the truck running i was getting 0 volts:eek: so because i removed the bcdd soleniod and blocked it off i had an extra wire, i used the white wire as it was readin 13 volts while running, the red wire also read 13 volts