Newb intro with a story...lol!

Hello all!!!

My name is Robert or Bear as my friends call me (HS football thing, long story lol!!) I am new to posting as I wanted to wait till I ACTUALLY had a dime before I posted anything and it has been a battle for the last year or so to find and get one, but I have been lurking in the shadows for some time. :) I come from a background of classic cars of which I still own two, 65 mustang and a 54 chevy pickup. The mustang I will be selling to fund the dime build, but the 54 chevy I am keeping as I love it's flat black rat rod look. lol! I am also a long time VW fan, both air and watercooled and generally am always around cars and car building/modifying.

Much like alot of you, I have loved dimes since childhood. Mine dates back to when my Mom got me an AFX track with a couple of extra cars...wouldn't you know it, one was a 510 and the other a toyota corona! (yes, I still have both!!!) Then there was a guy in my HS that had a B.A. canary yellow 71 510 and I would drool over it everytime he would pull out of the parking lot. Only problem is, all I ever heard back then was how rare they were and how expensive for even a POS one so I never really looked around and surprisingly, not that many here in AZ. Well a buddy of mine in my car club used to have I think 13 at one time until about 2 years ago when he hit bad times and had to sell them all. We got to talking and the fire was lit!!!

Not having alot of money in the last year due to layoffs, my choices were slim when it came to finding a good one.

I happen to come across a 69 in Flagstaff about 175 miles from my house, 500 bucks or best offer with supposedly a salvage title or for parts. I thought, what the hell and decided to go look at it. It does have quarter and door damage so it sounded about right, but when I asked her about it, she said she thought that is what she would have to get cause she couldn't find the title!!!! I asked her how much she wanted and she said 350.00 since she can't find the keys either.:confused: I figured, why not, DEAL. I helped her to get the title and all is good!

Is it perfect?? not remotely...It has damage on the quarter and door(s) there is no structural damage, just the skin surprisingly. Other than the interior being weather beaten, REEEEEAAALLY bad Earl Scheib paint job flaking off, and a little bit of front end damage from what looks like a chain put through the core support for towing and there is nothing but occasional surface rust in the pits of the paint and , no cancer anywhere. Floors are great, Trunk looks untouched tho it is missing the jack. (Ironicly, it has some Nissan wheel chocks back there tho) Wiring is in perfect shape and all stock.

Got it home and decided to get to work on it right away to clean and de-black widow it as it had been sitting for about 4 years. 3 and a half in a garage, and then since april outside when she didn't have room in the garage after getting a third car. I oiled the cylinders and turned the motor over by hand and everything seemed ok so I changed all the fluids and flushed the tank and lines. I cleaned off the carb with carb cleaner and was degreasing the engine bay and watching dead black widows float by my feet when a buddy of mine showed up and asked if it ran...I told him I didnt have a battery as the one in it was dead so he brought a battery over and after making a key out of the fragment left in the ignition (nightmare) I turned the key over and it fired right up and idled!!!! score! It ended up needing a clutch slave, and I went ahead and checked and the clutch was getting down close to the rivets so I bought a new one and finally got to drive it. Figured I would test it out in the abandoned housing development right by my house that way if anything gave, I would be close enough to push it home...lol So I gave it some gas, popped the clutch and left about 30 feet of dual stripes!!! no, I don't think it has an LSD it it from what I could see when I flushed the rear, but it was fun!!!

I have already sourced the doors, and the only new quarters I have found only go to the body line and I would like to replace the whole quarter. (any suggestions?? noone around here seems to have one that's good on even a good parts car)

So that is where I am at with it so far but I will be posting my Dash redo build here in the near future as they don't even make the caps for the 69 sooooo I am just making a new one!! (with lots of pics as I know you guys love em!!!) It will basicly be stock looking tho it will have triple gauges on the top center of the dash similar to the z I believe it was, but stealthy. :blink:

I also wanted to thank everyone here for the wealth of knowledge and the courtesy to share it with others as I believe someone posted once that they believe in passing on knowledge, not just bogarting it for themselves....That, is how I am as well. I have been on other forums and to be honest, I think I have found a home..lol! I hope you don't mind me picking your brains from time to time during my build of my car. I have some good but realistic plans for it including a vg30de single turbo which I am in the process of building. (Actually have had the motor for a year but decided to go turbo so I am rebuilding it)

Here are some pics of it for you to laugh at lol! but, I also feel that I saved it as I know there was someone that was wanting to buy it to chop it up for parts only.:eek: The first three are the pics that were sent to me by the previous owner, the others are after I got it home....

Again, Thanks for being here!!!!

Picture007.jpg

wait for it........

Picture006.jpg

BAAAAMMMMM!!! ouch

Picture005.jpg

DSC00517.jpg

DSC00516.jpg

DSC00518.jpg

DSC00515.jpg

DSC00513.jpg

Thanks to a buddy of mine, a new fender...wrong year, but easily modified for the 69 side markers...

DSC00641.jpg

and some of the other upgrades or missing parts he had...

DSC00651.jpg

DSC00648.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An EI dizzy. If you don't have the remote igniter box there is a way to use a GM HEI module to do the same thing. Welcome!

yeppers!!! already got that, and a coil...and thanks to you guys...it's going in this weekend!!!!:)

Hey Bear welcome to Ratsun , I live just up the road from you a little ways . If you ever need any help on that beast just let me know

Yep, I had written to you a while back when you were looking for some assembly help...and then BAM!! I was really busy with work and haven't had a chance to call you!! sorry about that! same here..if you ever need help (and work stops bugging me..lol) just let me know!!

wow, that looks pretty rough, but props to you for bringing her back to life :)

HEY! what do you know!! The newb figured out the multi quote feature!!! lol...I am such a dork at times...sorry for the multi posts....

yeah, I just can't let something like that go...totally fixable, no rust and all original...worth the work on the quarter panel and parts hunt...besides, that's half the fun!!!

bear you are a lucky guy, hell ide give atleast 400 for it right now!!!!, nice car man, cant wait to see your build

:lol: Thanks!!! If it wasn't a dream (or nightmare, depending on how you look at it...) I would have to consider it...but "Marvin" as I call him has, I believe, found a home!

Thanks again for the welcome!!

Marvin - I like the name:D

lol!! It seems to fit it very well!! THANKS!:D

Welcome.

Nice find (very fixable).

Have fun with your project, I love seeing them brought back to life.

Yeah it's amazing how alot of people look at a car and write it off...just take a little elbow grease to get it goin again! I am looking forward to this project.:D

Pretty sweet, little damage but looks to be no rust.

Long as it drives straight and nothing important too baddly damaged its good to roll in my book. :lol:

That was one of the things that surprised me when I took it for a drive. It doesn't pull in any direction when cruising, accelerating or braking so it's all good! Tho the bushings DO need to be replaced very soon. The sway bar bushings lose a small piece every time I jack up the front end...:lol: The others are not that bad but still. It's gonna need em soon!

• 4 weeks later...