If you've got to customize.. do it like we did in the 70's!

73super

I remember 'little stomper' :D

More on the black choptop :D

73Super...Pthedude has an almost complete set of flares and visors (the visor is cracked, hence the almost complete) They are sitting in his backyard in Redmond ;)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30Years0016.jpg

Super......the bottom photo has my 76 in it..it had Yellow Gold Shag carpet in the cab AND the camper..that is a CB Radio antenna on the cab top (Ol yeller lookin fer ya good buddy 10-4?......) 8 track Kraco radio...That camper was outfitted with walkie talkies so the kids could talk to me...(before I removed the rear window and had a "boot" installed between the cab and the camper shell...the shag in the bed covered the floor and there were cabnets sort of built in the camper shell .........sadly, Most of those photos have dissappered........

• Like 2
30Years0016.jpg

Super......the bottom photo has my 76 in it..it had Yellow Gold Shag carpet in the cab AND the camper..that is a CB Radio antenna on the cab top (Ol yeller lookin fer ya good buddy 10-4?......) 8 track Kraco radio...That camper was outfitted with walkie talkies so the kids could talk to me...(before I removed the rear window and had a "boot" installed between the cab and the camper shell...the shag in the bed covered the floor and there were cabnets sort of built in the camper shell .........sadly, Most of those photos have dissappered........

That's soooo cool. Boy.. talk about a time warp. I remember all of my buddies and I running around in our pickups. I had a 74 620 (Orange), had the canopy with the one small circular pexiglass window in back.. Fun stuff. Great pics! Thanks! :D

Hey Super, Yes, I'm in Arizona. Here is what I now own...........

1972 1/2 white bone stock standard cab. 76,000 orig miles. A little old man had it when I purchase it in about 1999. It will be repainted stock Nissan white and get stock powdercoated rims and rechromed hubcaps. Also bumperettes. To be left stock. Interior is immaculate in blue.

1974 Funtana. You already know about that one.

1979 6" chopped black ratrod. Standard cab. More on that one later.

1977 4X4 kingcab. Truck was centerfold/cover in 1984 on Mini Truck magazine. Frame was lenghtened and a longbed placed on. Truck was "tweekerized" when purchased for $400.00 and is not yet running. Plans are to repaint it and have the original lettering redone. It was called "Little Stomper". Mark found photos on the lord model builder site of it's prestine show condition back then.

1973 "pre-runner". Standard cab. Truck was built long ago with a kit to install a Chevy 350. It also has a California Stepside bed. Don't know exactly what I'm going to do with it. I (once again) saved it from a "tweeker" that would have surely destroyed it. It sits way too high for My liking. Now a Fontana styled V8 truck......... THAT I could deal with!! Lots done such as narrowed 9" rearend, full rollcage, etc. It could, for the right price, become someone's dream. I would much rather have something like the lowered red 327 truck We see on here from time to time.

The dually project. 3 trucks in one. The stock 1973 frame and bed are sitting aside for a possable future full restoration. Never to be touched, the cab was taken for now off this frame. A 1979 front frame section with a Chevy V6 was welded to a 1975 longbed and the fourdoor cab placed on. This way, good stopping with disc brakes and the power of a V6 to haul 4 people around. What I would REALLY like, though, would be for someone to come vacation here at Laughlin for a week on My $$$ and totally install a turbo'd K motor or a Nissan V6 into it. I am very blown away at what the 510 guys are installing. A complete Nissan "phantom" would be My dream choice!

The blue truck. Standard cab. 1976 very straight. When found it had a side windowless Pacific Top shell and Fontana flares. These were the flares that molds were made from. It will be a twofold truck being shown from time to time differently. I will have two sets of flares and spoilers painted to match changing them out from time to time for a fresh change. At one show, it will be like My old orange truck with a BRE spoiler and Fontana flares all around. The next time You see it, it might have a 5 piece wrapkit. The holes will be drilled so that I can easily change the look using the same bolts. If You can envision the blue truck above just somewhat lighter in color and the same silver pinstripped flames that Funtana has, that will be the blue truck. Lots of chrome, shag and velvet, just as a truck would have been in 1976 or 1977. The rarest thing on this truck will be the Permacast 15" X 10" rear and 14" X 7" front rims that I located!!! These were (My opinion) the COOLEST turbine rims ever produced and it was amazing (another LONG story) that I located a complete set! Chrome 4 into 1 sidepipes and a fully chromed rearend are what I envision someday.

1976 with unknown future. This truck may or maynot be for sale. I will know by February. It has been for sale for the last 3 years. Whats up now is I am DESPIRATELY trying to put together a deal with someone I met in Japan to purchase His RHD parts and have them shipped over here. If this happens, this truck will be a full restoration with RHD installed. He has two 620s and can only keep one. He plans to cut up the second one and I am doing everything I can to try and get the dash, firewall, pedals, column shift and steering box. If this happens, this truck will be RHD. If it doesn't, then the truck will be sold.

So what kind of a shop setup do you have? Where do you keep all these beauties... ?

I've got two shops.. just built an add-on.. and I'm still running out of room. I need to get rid of some dead weight so I can make room for new projects. I find if I let something sit for too long that the motivation has a way of dying.

Would love to see your setup.

Guys I bought a 620 straight outta the 70's as a donor I've got OG fiberglass fender flares and exteriror windshield visor ( seriously) and OG 3" lowering blocks AND the peice of paper they came with!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Lysakers/79620LowriderParts

THE DASH AND CENTER CONSOLE ARE HANDSTICHED HIGHEND LEATHER. It's amazing. The rims are amazing as well, and COMPLETELY and UTTERLY out of style. :mad:

Guys I bought a 620 straight outta the 70's as a donor I've got OG fiberglass fender flares and exteriror windshield visor ( seriously) and OG 3" lowering blocks AND the peice of paper they came with!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Lysakers/79620LowriderParts

THE DASH AND CENTER CONSOLE ARE HANDSTICHED HIGHEND LEATHER. It's amazing. The rims are amazing as well, and COMPLETELY and UTTERLY out of style. :mad:

Wow... so what are your plans for this and those lovely little add-ons? :D

OK, I'll try to be brief here............ (Yes, I know that's HARD!!!)

Anyway, My buildup on Funtana was well thought out. Specific additions for a specific time period. The only way that I would have known this was that I was there. So, in perspective, in 1974 I would have bought a truck (Funtana) new. Now keep in mind I'm still making payments on it and it's not mine yet. So, the first purchase logically would be rims and tires. Fender flares (which were JUST beginning to be sold in 1975) are not a thought until one thing happens. Bingo! I get pulled over for too wide tires. In those days, this was just a "fix-it" ticket, so what We did was to go to (and NO, there wasn't a Walmart then!!) Checker and buy a set of black plastic or metal stainless mudflaps. Install with the 2 screws, take the truck to the copshop and get the ticket resolved. Mudflaps were sold like crazy back then for that reason. Yes, the Vanners first had fender flares and an imiginative person thought about selling them for minis. There were at least 6 different types of fender flares and they were kinda' specific to the area that they were sold. Such as why Fontana flares were called Fontana flares. They were only sold at Fontana Datsun. There were others and I'll get into that later. So back to the buildup. I now have to purchase fender flares or run the ugly mudflaps. So there is where the next paycheck (remember, I'm only a busboy at a restaurant then) goes. So Funtana has wheels, tires and fender flares. Next purchase is a front spoiler. Then possibly traction bars (I race this incredible vehicle on Friday nights don't I?!?). And the next paycheck or two goes to the truck's payments. Next, I get a few extra $$$ and it's either a bed cover or a stereo. I choose the bed cover. Funtana has for this reason a stock AM radio. A few more payments on the truck and now a few dents and scratches. It still isn't mine so I won't do much bodywork at "bondo partys" with My friends and new fellow club members. I've now joined a club and have been given a plaque. So We shave the hooks, mold in a hood scoop. One guy suggests filling in the bed seams, so one night We all work on that. Another guy suggests lowering the front side marker lights. This is the way I drive Funtana for the last 5 or 6 months that I'm making payments on it. With primer spots all over it. When it is finally mine, I start going from bodyshop to bodyshop getting estimates. The green is sprayed on and 2 months later the flames and lettering done. The new 1976 Oldsmobiles have rectangular headlights and I mount up a set. All My $$$$$$ has been spent getting to this day in time, which is where Funtana's 2005 buildup halts. The interior is stock with the AM radio. This is where I want Funtana to show what would have been done to a 1974 truck by, let's say, the summer of 1975. And that explains why I will not do anything to the engine, transmission or interior. Because in 1975 this is as far as I would have progressed.

The blue truck, on the other hand, will show what would have been accomplished by late 1976 or early 1977. The truck is now mine. I purchase a Pacific Top shell. I can cut out the back of the cab and "minivan" it. Another 2 paychecks can be dumped on chrome sidepipes. Another 2 or 3 paychecks can be dumped into "turbine" mags, which are now the hot setup replacing the aging slotted mags. A wing spoiler on the camper's roof, velvet interior and shag. And, yes, finally 2 more paychecks into a cool Pioneer stereo and a CB radio!! You see, it was all progressive back then. By now I was a boxboy at the market making Union wages and more $$$ could have ben "invested" into My truck. That is what You will see in the blue truck someday.

The next progression would be to tear off everything, build the now aging motor and chop the roof. That is what Choptana will be. And yes, a wife comes along, 620s are now fading away and everyone is either getting out of minis, buying a Mazda (many, many guys did that) or purchasing a home.

That, friends, is how it went. So what I am building will show to the trained eye a specific moment in time during Mini Truckin's history.

The End

...So you're kind of like the "Rain Man" of Datsun pickups is what I'm hearing here? How is it hangin' with some of these youngsters? Need more old blood in this here sport... aye? We gotta bring 'em back!

2eDeYe;22591'']Yeah they actually look pretty good. I was impressed with how well they have survived.

OK, so I'm confused on this whole thing.. is this a truck he's restoring, modifying, or selling? He didn't seem to happy about the dated '70 pieces or the dash.. :confused:

Now that's going back a litte tooooooo far for me. Not that I don't appreciate that time and all.... but give me the 70's anyday. Too much fun. :rolleyes:

Uh oh....man that is so nostalgic for an ol fart like myownself.....

That there stuff is back to High School for me...'member I got my

first Drivers License in 1957...that might be before some of your parents were born!!!..I do remember most of those cars and most of everything else that was shown!!..Good grief.I AM TOO OLD FOR THE ROOM!!!! LOL

first Drivers License in 1957...that might be before some of your parents were born!!!..I do remember most of those cars and most of everything else that was shown!!..Good grief.I AM TOO OLD FOR THE ROOM!!!! LOL

We NEED older folk to show us the tricks. Heck the only thing stopping me from building a '70s style 620 is finding one in good condition here. I've come across a couple but they are owned by older Greek and Italian guys who won't sell them for love or money!

my parents were born in 55.

me in 83.

have i ever seen you driving around northridge? ive seen a very well maintained yellow 620 driving by csun, from your pics i think it was yours...

Guest DatsuNoob
and even the occasional side pipes and "stacks" could give the trucks a cool look... and whatever happened to CB radios? What, does everybody need a cell phone, text messaging, etc. etc.

Ten four good buddies!!!!! :D

I had a CB in my truck the day I bought it. I was messing around with it on the ride home from Rochester, but couldn't raise anyone, and didn't hear anything. I assumed it didn't work so I took it out, just a sears brand cb anyway. I'd actually kinda like to have one in there again, with a PA. I also have the button tuck, mint green velour to be exact. It's like sitting on your Grandma's old couch. Pretty rad.