If you've got to customize.. do it like we did in the 70's!

73super

I love this back and forth stuff between the "youngin's" and us "oldies"... BUT, as stated.. I do like the stock look. HOWEVER, if there is a need to customize.. do it like we did in the 70's.. Back then Vans were in. You'd see Chevy and Dodge vans (mostly Chevy) all painted up with the airbrushed art murals, inside would be full of shag carpet, wood paneling, mirrors and ya GOT to have the mirror ball... ha! Anyway, this also greatly affected the mini truckin' show trucks. You'd see a lot of them with the higher canopies on the back, rear window of cab usually removed to open things up and the back would be all decked out like a van. Thick shag (I'm tearing up here), paneling, tons of button tucked vinyl, etc.

So, getting a bit nostalgic I would like to see some of the "ol' skool" customizing come back. Get those trucks back up to a decent height, air brush vs. pin stripe, shag vs. whatever they put in there now, let's see some canopies back on those trucks, jack up the rear a bit (air shocks were big back then.. ha!), and even the occasional side pipes and "stacks" could give the trucks a cool look... and whatever happened to CB radios? What, does everybody need a cell phone, text messaging, etc. etc.

Ten four good buddies!!!!! :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Xbox 360 and wireless internet is in these days :D lol

button tuck is something you see only in lowrider magazine these days... and a lowered truck is not nessisarily a lowrider. ;)

Remeber VANS magazine? well, I don't really but I've seen a few on eBay. funny stuff.

Xbox 360 and wireless internet is in these days :D lol

button tuck is something you see only in lowrider magazine these days... and a lowered truck is not nessisarily a lowrider. ;)

Remeber VANS magazine? well, I don't really but I've seen a few on eBay. funny stuff.

Funny stuff? Oh Bleach-mon'...(my nemisis) I think I'm talking myself into doing a retro themed 620.. "70's Blast to the Past" type truck with all the above mentioned stuff... minus the button tuck which was never my fav'. Also have to have the "Keep on Truckin'" toon on the back. Wonder if I can find a working 8 track? Hmmmmmmm.......:D

You need to see some of Steroid's posts. This is the look he's built into all of his 620's so far to date. It's like a flashback to see the trucks customized like they were in the early years of the sport. Ive even thought about doing 1 of my truck's up 70's style.

• Like 1

Mr. Steroid.. Can I see a few pics of your Trucks please!?!

I've already written down a detailed list of items on my next project.. I'm excited about this. It'll be tough to find a few of the needed retro items, but thank the lowered for Ebay! :D

I'm glad You brought this up. As Mark knows (He was with Me at Reso. last year walking around photographing stuff) I went totally NUTS on an early brown van that was in the show area. Ths van was also at Davis Camp in May. Anyway, the owner had it all going on.... velvet, wood doweling and shag. He told Me where in Phoenix to find velvet and sure enough, they have 3 "cuts" of velvet (in stock ALL THE TIME) in blue. I will be building My blue truck 70s fashion. That is what Mark is talking about. But what I CANN'T find is shag carpet. After 3 hours googeling the other night, this was all I could locate:

http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shopper/search.cgi/rugs/ezshopper?user_id=28356-20070908&1_option=3&1=shag&database=dbase1.exm&template=shag.htm&output_number=6

If any of You have any knowledge of remnant stores that Might have shag, PLEASE let Me know. It's like it fell off the face of the earth. Anyway, I'll post more later on this subject (another of My usual historic rambelings) and the buildup of My blue truck. By the way, I DID manage to locate an aluminum wing for the rear of the camper shell's roof!! And yes, there is another long story behind that acquisition!!

• Like 1

Oh I've got a million questions for you.. however.. do you have a website with a gallery of past projects? The canopy shells that are lower in front, higher in back.. are those totally impossible to find?

Looking forward to seeing some of your pickups. Thx. :D

• Like 1

OK, I'll try to be brief here............ (Yes, I know that's HARD!!!)

Anyway, My buildup on Funtana was well thought out. Specific additions for a specific time period. The only way that I would have known this was that I was there. So, in perspective, in 1974 I would have bought a truck (Funtana) new. Now keep in mind I'm still making payments on it and it's not mine yet. So, the first purchase logically would be rims and tires. Fender flares (which were JUST beginning to be sold in 1975) are not a thought until one thing happens. Bingo! I get pulled over for too wide tires. In those days, this was just a "fix-it" ticket, so what We did was to go to (and NO, there wasn't a Walmart then!!) Checker and buy a set of black plastic or metal stainless mudflaps. Install with the 2 screws, take the truck to the copshop and get the ticket resolved. Mudflaps were sold like crazy back then for that reason. Yes, the Vanners first had fender flares and an imiginative person thought about selling them for minis. There were at least 6 different types of fender flares and they were kinda' specific to the area that they were sold. Such as why Fontana flares were called Fontana flares. They were only sold at Fontana Datsun. There were others and I'll get into that later. So back to the buildup. I now have to purchase fender flares or run the ugly mudflaps. So there is where the next paycheck (remember, I'm only a busboy at a restaurant then) goes. So Funtana has wheels, tires and fender flares. Next purchase is a front spoiler. Then possibly traction bars (I race this incredible vehicle on Friday nights don't I?!?). And the next paycheck or two goes to the truck's payments. Next, I get a few extra $$$ and it's either a bed cover or a stereo. I choose the bed cover. Funtana has for this reason a stock AM radio. A few more payments on the truck and now a few dents and scratches. It still isn't mine so I won't do much bodywork at "bondo partys" with My friends and new fellow club members. I've now joined a club and have been given a plaque. So We shave the hooks, mold in a hood scoop. One guy suggests filling in the bed seams, so one night We all work on that. Another guy suggests lowering the front side marker lights. This is the way I drive Funtana for the last 5 or 6 months that I'm making payments on it. With primer spots all over it. When it is finally mine, I start going from bodyshop to bodyshop getting estimates. The green is sprayed on and 2 months later the flames and lettering done. The new 1976 Oldsmobiles have rectangular headlights and I mount up a set. All My $$$$$$ has been spent getting to this day in time, which is where Funtana's 2005 buildup halts. The interior is stock with the AM radio. This is where I want Funtana to show what would have been done to a 1974 truck by, let's say, the summer of 1975. And that explains why I will not do anything to the engine, transmission or interior. Because in 1975 this is as far as I would have progressed.

The blue truck, on the other hand, will show what would have been accomplished by late 1976 or early 1977. The truck is now mine. I purchase a Pacific Top shell. I can cut out the back of the cab and "minivan" it. Another 2 paychecks can be dumped on chrome sidepipes. Another 2 or 3 paychecks can be dumped into "turbine" mags, which are now the hot setup replacing the aging slotted mags. A wing spoiler on the camper's roof, velvet interior and shag. And, yes, finally 2 more paychecks into a cool Pioneer stereo and a CB radio!! You see, it was all progressive back then. By now I was a boxboy at the market making Union wages and more $$$ could have ben "invested" into My truck. That is what You will see in the blue truck someday.

The next progression would be to tear off everything, build the now aging motor and chop the roof. That is what Choptana will be. And yes, a wife comes along, 620s are now fading away and everyone is either getting out of minis, buying a Mazda (many, many guys did that) or purchasing a home.

That, friends, is how it went. So what I am building will show to the trained eye a specific moment in time during Mini Truckin's history.

The End

• Like 3
Oh Bleach-mon'...(my nemisis)

I'm just teasing you.

I'll keep my eyes out for an old under dash CB and a Datsun 8-track. (very rare)

I had a vintage CB in my 280ZX once. I used it only for the speakerphone though. Had it on under the driver's seat with the mic. The speaker was out in front of the radiator but behind the bumper. I could just reach down and grab the mic and start talking to people. :) good times back in high school... (10 years ago!) :eek:

OK, These are Glasstech GT spoiler type shells. I have two of them available. One has windows placed at the rear (that could be filled) for a standard cab. The other has aluminum side framed windows and is for a kingcab. I just couldn't let them go to salvege, but niether is in My plans for use on any of My trucks.

bluedouble-1.jpg

620kingcab-1.jpg

• Like 2

Wow.. what detail you're going into.. So you're looking at doing 3 separate trucks? I forgot about the turbine wheels. Yes, I remember those being the hot ticket. Oh this is all music to my ears.. I feel old but don't give a rip.. I graduated in '78 when the mini-pickup theme was still going on. I had friends that had Chevy Luv's, Couriers (yuk), and Datsuns. Not too many of the rotary mazdas were floating around our area then. Well I feel rejuvenated and ready to start stock piling parts. Thanks much.. really. :D

I'm glad I posted THAT picture. If You look in the background of the blue truck, You will see on the orange truck "LA flares". These were sold more in the LA area so trucks from that area seemed to have those. That, also, is the same type that I mounted on Datsun SS. I had wanted Fontana flares but those were already glassed in so I "adapted" them to try and make them look like Fontana falres. But if You look closely in this picture You will see how the "LA flares" were styled to try and match the "rib" in the lower bedside. No other fender flares were like those. Also notice the rooflines of the wine and yellow colored truck's camper shells compared to the "ducktail" styling on the GT spoiler. Both of those shells are Pacific Top shells, which were built and sold in Anaheim. That is the shell that will be on My blue truck.

• Like 1

You're welcome. I have been trying for years to tell others on the other forum to start grabbing EVERYTHING that can be found. The aluminum mag wheels can be traded or sold even if there is only one to someone trying to complete a set. Actually, there is quite a competition going on between the scrappers beating Me to wheels at junkyards. I am guessing that in a few years trucks won't even be placed in a yard with wheels. Most yards around here are like that now. They are already gone and set aside for the "aluminum man" to come get. I was fortunant enough to build all of the complete sets that I will ever need a few years ago. On Funtana's rear rims, I drove all the way from Bullhead City, Arizona to Bakersfield just to purchase those rims. He had one other pair, which I bought, of 15" X 10"s. I doubt I could find a pair today. I was also fortunant enough to purchase (8 years ago) a complete set of Western Bullett rims in 14" X 7" and 14" X 8 1/2" (like the California Sunshine models had) for, get this, $7.50 each!!!!! Those days are long over!!! That was at Pick-A-Part and I went nuts when I found them. The next weekend was Valentine's day (half off everything) so I removed them, put one wheel in a car's trunk 8 rows down, another in an SUV 4 rows down, etc. I totally slpit them all up and covered them. Yes, they were all still there that next weekend and that's why they were so cheap. I still, however, have not been able to locate the correct early hubcaps. That set would look awesome on a roadstered truck!

• Like 2

Wow.. you look at what this hobby once was and, not being negative, looking at what it is now.. I'm soooooo glad I grew up when I did. I wouldn't have missed any of that for anything. That blue truck really brings back the ol' memories. Thanks bunches. I'm wearing perma-grin.... :D

I'm just teasing you.

I'll keep my eyes out for an old under dash CB and a Datsun 8-track. (very rare)

I had a vintage CB in my 280ZX once. I used it only for the speakerphone though. Had it on under the driver's seat with the mic. The speaker was out in front of the radiator but behind the bumper. I could just reach down and grab the mic and start talking to people. :) good times back in high school... (10 years ago!) :eek:

Doesn't have to be a Datsun 8-track. In fact most guys back then installed under-dash units. You should have seen the huge 8-track monster that I mounted in my CJ5... it was suppose to be a floor mount unit, but I bolted it to the dash..

OK, These are Glasstech GT spoiler type shells. I have two of them available. One has windows placed at the rear (that could be filled) for a standard cab. The other has aluminum side framed windows and is for a kingcab. I just couldn't let them go to salvege, but niether is in My plans for use on any of My trucks.

bluedouble-1.jpg

620kingcab-1.jpg

You are in the Northwest? What area?

Steroid is in Arizona.

Unfortunately for you I'm within a few miles of you in Fairwood. :)

I thought I smelled something funny. .. ha!

Anyway there goes the idea of picking up one of those canopies.. I'll just keep an eye out.. as long as I get the "look". He's a little more detail oriented than I think I will be.. which I find very impressive.

Well at least he doesn't have to worry about his pristine little 620's developing any rust.. lucky guy. :cool:

hey Super, you should trade your 620 to the guy on Craigslist with a '78 spitfire! :D lol

Hmmmmmm.... boy somebody is going to get a good deal. Wonder who that guy could be that's trading off his Spit.. From Brit to Japanese... well you don't have to wonder which one will last longer. :D

Hey Super, Yes, I'm in Arizona. Here is what I now own...........

1972 1/2 white bone stock standard cab. 76,000 orig miles. A little old man had it when I purchase it in about 1999. It will be repainted stock Nissan white and get stock powdercoated rims and rechromed hubcaps. Also bumperettes. To be left stock. Interior is immaculate in blue.

1974 Funtana. You already know about that one.

1979 6" chopped black ratrod. Standard cab. More on that one later.

1977 4X4 kingcab. Truck was centerfold/cover in 1984 on Mini Truck magazine. Frame was lenghtened and a longbed placed on. Truck was "tweekerized" when purchased for $400.00 and is not yet running. Plans are to repaint it and have the original lettering redone. It was called "Little Stomper". Mark found photos on the lord model builder site of it's prestine show condition back then.

1973 "pre-runner". Standard cab. Truck was built long ago with a kit to install a Chevy 350. It also has a California Stepside bed. Don't know exactly what I'm going to do with it. I (once again) saved it from a "tweeker" that would have surely destroyed it. It sits way too high for My liking. Now a Fontana styled V8 truck......... THAT I could deal with!! Lots done such as narrowed 9" rearend, full rollcage, etc. It could, for the right price, become someone's dream. I would much rather have something like the lowered red 327 truck We see on here from time to time.

The dually project. 3 trucks in one. The stock 1973 frame and bed are sitting aside for a possable future full restoration. Never to be touched, the cab was taken for now off this frame. A 1979 front frame section with a Chevy V6 was welded to a 1975 longbed and the fourdoor cab placed on. This way, good stopping with disc brakes and the power of a V6 to haul 4 people around. What I would REALLY like, though, would be for someone to come vacation here at Laughlin for a week on My $$$ and totally install a turbo'd K motor or a Nissan V6 into it. I am very blown away at what the 510 guys are installing. A complete Nissan "phantom" would be My dream choice!

The blue truck. Standard cab. 1976 very straight. When found it had a side windowless Pacific Top shell and Fontana flares. These were the flares that molds were made from. It will be a twofold truck being shown from time to time differently. I will have two sets of flares and spoilers painted to match changing them out from time to time for a fresh change. At one show, it will be like My old orange truck with a BRE spoiler and Fontana flares all around. The next time You see it, it might have a 5 piece wrapkit. The holes will be drilled so that I can easily change the look using the same bolts. If You can envision the blue truck above just somewhat lighter in color and the same silver pinstripped flames that Funtana has, that will be the blue truck. Lots of chrome, shag and velvet, just as a truck would have been in 1976 or 1977. The rarest thing on this truck will be the Permacast 15" X 10" rear and 14" X 7" front rims that I located!!! These were (My opinion) the COOLEST turbine rims ever produced and it was amazing (another LONG story) that I located a complete set! Chrome 4 into 1 sidepipes and a fully chromed rearend are what I envision someday.

1976 with unknown future. This truck may or maynot be for sale. I will know by February. It has been for sale for the last 3 years. Whats up now is I am DESPIRATELY trying to put together a deal with someone I met in Japan to purchase His RHD parts and have them shipped over here. If this happens, this truck will be a full restoration with RHD installed. He has two 620s and can only keep one. He plans to cut up the second one and I am doing everything I can to try and get the dash, firewall, pedals, column shift and steering box. If this happens, this truck will be RHD. If it doesn't, then the truck will be sold.