Radiator for a ka24de???

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one i used in mine is a (Spectra - CU1557) for a 98 jetta. It seem to fit the best and be the biggest one I could find without having one custom built. It's quite a bit bigger that the rabbit one. You'll need to get the factory rubber mounts for the bottom from a wrecking yard or the vw dealer since it doesn't come with them. You have to shave the lower mounts just a tiny bit to fit between the rails and then I just bolted it all the way through the core support. Your temp sensor should fit also. I paid about $85 or so new for it

P1030901Small.jpg

P1030904Small.jpg

What did you use for a radiator cap?

What did you use for a radiator cap?

A "T" inline with radiator .

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SME-2202/

14injectors.jpg

The VW Jeeta VR6 radiator works great keeping the L30 turbo stroker in my 510 cool, but it is assisted by 1 12" pusher and an additional 12" puller and a 10" puller fan. The AEM EMS turns the pusher fan on @180 and the puller fans on @ 185 along with a Davies Craig electric helper water pump (cools the car in between drag runs and when traveling on the freeway at 70mph @1700rpm)

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/

• 1 month later...

After lots of measuring and searching, I found an all aluminum radiator for a CA18DET on eBay from roc_ilan. The radiator's overall measurements are 22" wide, 15" tall, and 1.75" thick. The radiator inlet/outlet measurement is 1.25" which is much smaller than KA24DE coolant inlet/outlet which measures 1.5". All I did is really tighten the hose clamps down until the new Spectre flexible radiator hoses wouldn't even budge. The electric fan was an easy choice. I just went to Jegs ang got the 10" electric fan which fits the radiator perfectly.

all the ca18det rads i found were too tall??

• 1 year later...

I realize this thread is mostly regarding 510's but I am running the stock 3 core 620 radiator with my KA24DE in my 620 with an electric fan and have zero cooling issues.

Old pics before cleaning up the wiring :P

Picture013-6.jpg

Picture014-7.jpg

Picture011-6.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So by that logic either buying a 620 radiator or having a stock 510 radiator recored would be enough? just requires a crossover hose

that way there's no cutting involved and I feel like this would be the cheapest option for a budget swap like mine

creepys set up looks badass.its huge!. i have a rabbit rad 10" pusher 180 degree temp switch. like mentioned above when car is in motion the rad keeps its cool. but when idling or in traffic, temps tend to go up. i personally dont trust a vw part. someone who i trust very much recommended the afco rad. i was lucky enough to get it for christmas:D 2 1/4" core should keep my ka cool in any situation. afco part #80104n from summit

2009-12-16135719.jpg

hey how did this radiator work out for you?? it looks beefy and for the right price!!
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I guess I never posted follow up pics of mine either. So here's some now.

Final mockup after fresh paint

AzjENEq.jpg

MzNHJ4K.jpg

820DmuZ.jpg

All done (After all the motor powder coating finished and with a polished cover I built for the radiator)

newmotor2Large.jpg

That looks like the gti rad, doesn't have a filler cap in the radiator. The early rabbit one has a filler cap in it, but it looks like it might be smaller than that one.

Hey creepy cruiser. Are those flexalite slims? And has part number for rad?

Also....any reason you took the intake all the way across to driver side? I read a short straight pipe to the passenger side interferes with sensor readings but can't find any solid evidence to confirm.

Lord that setup is clean

Hey creepy cruiser. Are those flexalite slims? And has part number for rad?

Also....any reason you took the intake all the way across to driver side? I read a short straight pipe to the passenger side interferes with sensor readings but can't find any solid evidence to confirm.

Lord that setup is clean

The radiator = (Spectra - CU1557) for a 98 jetta

Upper hose = stock upper 95-97 240sx hose, (just cut down to fit)

Lower hose = Gates #21511 that I cut down to fit (with a small chunk of a stock vw hose to use as an adapter sleeve on the rad side)

Fan switch = BDW  #TFS609 or Niehoff TS25951

Fans are just cheap ebay 12" fans. (only $30 each shipped) They work awesome. We actually only run one fan. The second fan is wired separate as a backup only, (just in case the first one fails.)

The whole system works incredible. We took 2 cars that I built with the same system in each, on a fun run up to the top of a mountain ski resort. We went with about 12 other cars in the heat of the simmer (over 100 degrees out) and 8-9 of the cars overheated before the top, and ours never even came close.

As for why I went all the way across with the intake: I've done swaps before with Toyotas and Nissans, and I've tried them with short and long tubes, and the short never seems to pull quite as hard and seemed to have a funky idle. There are several different factors that could be the cause of this, but I just liked the way they pull with the long tube. Personal preference.

Wouldn't the Large factory BRASS radiator in early 80's 720's fit and cool better than a similar sized aluminum rad? With no fan on wp, 100degree weather, I can get a z motor to 'build' heat sitting @ idle.....1/2 mile down the road back 2 normal. I can appreciate the big honkin' alum radiator...looks good and lighter.

You can kind of see them in this pic. I wanted them hidden a bit, so I put them on the back of the motor.

newmotorLarge.jpg

If you look against the firewall behind the intake, you can see a bicycle water bottle. That's the overflow. The guy I built this car for owns a bicycle shop, so I just thought it would be cool to use a bottle with his company logo on it for the overflow.

The filler is the red/white cap you see also kind of behind the intake, high against the firewall. It taps into the heater hose by the starter. Also runs to the overflow bottle.

Here is a pic before I did all the powder coating, and you can see it all a little better since it's not so dark in there, lol.

zXgTDiw.jpg

• Like 1

You can kind of see them in this pic. I wanted them hidden a bit, so I put them on the back of the motor.

newmotorLarge.jpg

If you look against the firewall behind the intake, you can see a bicycle water bottle. That's the overflow. The guy I built this car for owns a bicycle shop, so I just thought it would be cool to use a bottle with his company logo on it for the overflow.

The filler is the red/white cap you see also kind of behind the intake, high against the firewall. It taps into the heater hose by the starter. Also runs to the overflow bottle.

Here is a pic before I did all the powder coating, and you can see it all a little better since it's not so dark in there, lol.

zXgTDiw.jpg

Great job creepy very inspiring, did you have a thread on this build by chance?