Radiator for a ka24de???

When I did the ka swap on my datto I installed the vw rabbit radiator. The temp on the cars stays normal when it's rolling but when I get to a stop light or in traffic the temp wants to go way up. I'm thinking the radiator is to small. Do you guys know what other radiators might work that have the water hose inlet and outlet on the same side?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one i used in mine is a (Spectra - CU1557) for a 98 jetta. It seem to fit the best and be the biggest one I could find without having one custom built. It's quite a bit bigger that the rabbit one. You'll need to get the factory rubber mounts for the bottom from a wrecking yard or the vw dealer since it doesn't come with them. You have to shave the lower mounts just a tiny bit to fit between the rails and then I just bolted it all the way through the core support. Your temp sensor should fit also. I paid about $85 or so new for it

P1030901Small.jpg

P1030904Small.jpg

Doc, generally if it stays cool while moving(air over the radiator), and not when stopped, you need to get more air over the radiator when stopped. Bigger fans, fan shrouds?

Creepy, got any measurements on that jetta radiator, thinking that might also fit good in a 620.

When I did the ka swap on my datto I installed the vw rabbit radiator. The temp on the cars stays normal when it's rolling but when I get to a stop light or in traffic the temp wants to go way up. I'm thinking the radiator is to small. Do you guys know what other radiators might work that have the water hose inlet and outlet on the same side?

same thing happens with mine. I need to get another fan. This only happens when I'm idling for like 15 plus minutes though. I do notice that when I turn on my heater fan the temp goes back down. Thats why I'm thinking I need another fan or a more efficient one.

The radiator size should be fine.

• 2 months later...

After lots of measuring and searching, I found an all aluminum radiator for a CA18DET on eBay from roc_ilan. The radiator's overall measurements are 22" wide, 15" tall, and 1.75" thick. The radiator inlet/outlet measurement is 1.25" which is much smaller than KA24DE coolant inlet/outlet which measures 1.5". All I did is really tighten the hose clamps down until the new Spectre flexible radiator hoses wouldn't even budge. The electric fan was an easy choice. I just went to Jegs ang got the 10" electric fan which fits the radiator perfectly.

CA18DET Aluminum Radiator with Jegs 10" Electric Fan

IMG_0106.jpg

Top View Installed

IMG_0150.jpg

Unless I'm in traffic for a long time, I have no issues keeping temps at-or-below 200*. Since you're not using an in-line filler neck, are you SURE that you bled the air out of the system? The filler neck on the Rabit radiator is lower than the highest point for coolant on the KA, so you have to be sure you bled all the air out. That might account for why you're running a bit hotter at a stop and running fine when you're moving. Anything below 220* or so is normal operating temps for the KA. Creep above 220ish and that's where I start worrying...

creepys set up looks badass.its huge!. i have a rabbit rad 10" pusher 180 degree temp switch. like mentioned above when car is in motion the rad keeps its cool. but when idling or in traffic, temps tend to go up. i personally dont trust a vw part. someone who i trust very much recommended the afco rad. i was lucky enough to get it for christmas:D 2 1/4" core should keep my ka cool in any situation. afco part #80104n from summit

2009-12-16135719.jpg

I have been eyeballin' that very rad from Summit for my VG30. Is it really 3" thick?

Yup 3" thick tanks. Very beefy. Enough to cool high hp american engines.

Ka24e and ka24de have outlets on passeger side.

Ebay shows a aluminium ka swap radiator. No one has mentioned that one. With or without fans. Looks good

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GODSPEED-95-96-97-98-240SX-S14-KA24DE-RADIATOR-FAN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c5248301cQQitemZ190359023644QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

been thinking about getting one of these for my post turbo radiator needs. seems almost to cheap to be true. Im trying to see it in a 510. or at least in a s13 so I can get an idea of clearance and cooling. but 1 fan definitely is not enough for my KA. in traffic. AKA LA. I roll 210. not comfortable for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GODSPEED-95-96-97-98-240SX-S14-KA24DE-RADIATOR-FAN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c5248301cQQitemZ190359023644QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

been thinking about getting one of these for my post turbo radiator needs. seems almost to cheap to be true. Im trying to see it in a 510. or at least in a s13 so I can get an idea of clearance and cooling. but 1 fan definitely is not enough for my KA. in traffic. AKA LA. I roll 210. not comfortable for me.

20" is too tall to fit in a 510. 16" tall is about the max. You can see by the pics in my earlier post, 15" is just under the lip and at 16" most of the time it has to be trimmed.

• 3 weeks later...

With that rad, it looks like they modified the core support.

Nice Rad, Just looks a little tall. My 0.02

Thanks

Bryce