interchange confirmation?

moparvwfreak

i am putting an L20 in my 620 and just want to confirm what i can use off my L16.

intake and exhaust

oil pump

distributor (might be using the HEI mod and going EI)

clutch release sleeve

i want to run the PCV system properly. and i dont want to fight with the L20 exhaust manifold anymore. it keeps falling apart.

thanks guys!!1

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the L20B is from a truck the oil pan should clear but as with the 521, you may have to use the L16 oil pan, so be prepared for this swap. If from a car you could probably use the L16 pan and pick-up. If the L20B is a '78-'80 use that intake. If it's a '75-'77 try to find a later intake as the L16 intake has smaller runners. You can use the square port L16 exhaust manifold on the L20B head, even if it's the round port W58 from '78 up. The L20B sits 3/4" taller at the head so the exhaust down pipe will also sit 3/4" higher going under the cab.

While all L series oil pumps will interchange, even the diesel, find one from a KA24E 240sx, Z24i, KA24E or DE from a D-21 Hardbody. These all use the high output pump with larger rotors for more volume at lower revs.

The PCV system connects to the intake so exhaust manifold is not an issue.

Definitely get and use the L20B EI dizzy. (remote or matchbox)

While all L series oil pumps will interchange, even the diesel, find one from a KA24E 240sx, Z24i, KA24E or DE from a D-21 Hardbody. These all use the high output pump with larger rotors for more volume at lower revs.

The DE pump will not work, as it's a gerotor driven off the crank (ala RB, LSx, etc.)

If the L20B is from a truck the oil pan should clear but as with the 521, you may have to use the L16 oil pan, so be prepared for this swap. If from a car you could probably use the L16 pan and pick-up. If the L20B is a '78-'80 use that intake. If it's a '75-'77 try to find a later intake as the L16 intake has smaller runners. You can use the square port L16 exhaust manifold on the L20B head, even if it's the round port W58 from '78 up. The L20B sits 3/4" taller at the head so the exhaust down pipe will also sit 3/4" higher going under the cab.

The PCV system connects to the intake so exhaust manifold is not an issue.

Definitely get and use the L20B EI dizzy. (remote or matchbox)

ok. a little clarity. the motor is coming out of my 78 KC. so everything will bolt over no problem. i really wanted to use my L16 intake as it actually has the PCV system intact where as my L20 manifold doesn't. and witht he weber carb the PCV plate wont fit. so it looks like i am SOL on using my 16 intake.

as for the oil pump, i KNOW the one in my 16 was good. the one in my 20 is not as hot. it takes FOREVER to build pressure but maintains it once its up. i know about the KA pumps but this is still a budget build. hence the interchange questions.

as for the exhaust, i dont care if it sits higher. it was hanging low anyway so thats ok. as long as i can get it to bolt up i dont care.

dizzy, i was just wondering about it since i still ahve to get the HEI module so i can wire it up (remote system). but IF i had to, i could run the points to get it going.

The DE pump will not work, as it's a gerotor driven off the crank (ala RB, LSx, etc.)

The KA24DE from the '98-'01 D-21 will work. I agree it's the KA24DE crank driven eccentric pump in the 240sx that won't.

Here's a picture of a truck KA24DE motor:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/motorKA24DE1999frontier3.jpg[/img]"]motorKA24DE1999frontier3.jpg

I call them D21 but maybe Frontier would be more accurate?

as for the exhaust, i dont care if it sits higher. it was hanging low anyway so thats ok. as long as i can get it to bolt up i dont care.

I found that the L16 down pipe would not bolt up because of the height difference, The side of the pipe interfered with the L20 block.:( Just meant that i had to hammer the pipe a little to get it to clear so i could get it to the exhaust shop.

• 3 weeks later...

motors almost in but the mounts aren't lining up. 78 L20B out of a 620 going into a 620 originally an L16. also it looks as though it sits to high. should i use the L16 mounts and call it a day orshould i fight with it to keep the L20 mounts????