L20 Muffler Options What do you run?

Looking for a muffler or can with a deep sound. I ran a flowmaster it was loud and thats fine it was just a little too raspy at high rpms. I was going to add a resonator but I ended up selling the car. I have a 69 with a turbo l20. Any suggestions on mufflers. What have you ran. I liked the noise and sound of the flowmaster not sure how a resonator would affect it. Im ok with loud exhaust its not daily driven and I like to hear my motor but im also not gonna straight pipe it. You get the idea let me know what you guys run and how well the sound at high/low rpm and durability. Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had full 2.5" from the header back to an HKS muffler on my old L20b, it had one small bend in it and it was LOUD! Sound VERY deep, and pissed off. Wouldn't do it again, too loud for me these days, plus it really moved the power higher in the rpm range, but it was cool back then... :lol: On a side note, the muffler came with a removeable silencer which made the car pretty quiet, although it was buzzy and tinny...

• 1 month later...

old school turbo II muffler

thats the Turbo style cheery Bomb brand?/

I have 3 spares (2in/in/outlet) but not running them. I figured they would be alot more quiet than the other mufflers out there. but dont know if they last long ,got mine from JC Whitney and got the smallest case possible to fit in the 510 spot(look stock)

The Flowmasters suck. I dont know why people even buy them they rot out from the inside where the vains are welded together. sound good but dont last long.plus they are loud.sound cool at idle but drive on the hiway at 65 it gets old quick!!!!!!!!

As one gets older quiet is better with a bit of a tone. The tone comes from a built motor. otherwise its just a noise can with no power behined it

I have a Dynomax Super Turbo and that even gets a bit loud on a low geared 521 @ 65mph

Yeah, I put a Dynomax on my L16 521. I like the sound of it, nice and quiet at idle, and then a deeper tone than the generic muffler that it had before. I'm satisfied.

As for Flowmasters, I had one on my L20b 510 that was matched up to a header and 2 1/4" exhaust. Had a good deep sound that I was really happy with, but I didn't have it on there long. I didn't know they were crap that rots out so quickly. If that's the case, I will consider using a Dynomax instead when the car goes back together.

flowmasters are like a fine wine. the older they get the sweeter the sound. they have been on my corvette for about 120 thousand miles with no problems. i also have them on my truck with about 30 k miles. i have never heard them rot out from the inside.

but, they do sound horrible on non v8 engines. just as fart can style mufflers sound crappy on v8 engines.

as for the exhaust on my b210, i run three inch pipe to a nice size ebay fart can. i have not fired the engine yet.

My old 510 with an L-18, Dual Mikunis, Cannon Cam, ported peanut head and a full length header ran a 2.5" pipe with a Medium Size Cherry Bomb glasspack and a single out Monza style tip. Hey, it was the 80's! :fu:

Sounded really deep and was pretty loud when I stomped on it. Ended up replacing the Monza tip with a Turbo II and it made it nice and mellow.I say go with a Turbo style muffler and forget the tin cup sounding Flowmaster.

in order to get a deep tone, you will need a long straight lenth of pipe, resonators work, but often they have louvers sticking inside the pipe, and that will rob horsepower.

your best bet is to use cherry bomb or thrush glass packs. they are cheap, and they dont use any packing that will deteriorate and blow out of the muffler later. they also do not have any louvers or other intrusive things inside the glasspack.

you will need a long pipe, i suggest running it down the center of the car. 24 inches or more to get a low frequency.

with only the glasspack, the exhaust will be VERY loud, even with a turn out at the end. the longer the lenth of pipe, the louder the exhaust will be. depending on the size of glasspack you get will determine the muffling capability. I think the rule of thumb with a 3" case on a 2" inlet outlet, you get 1.5 decibles quieter, and with a 90 degree turn out directly after the glasspack, you get another 1.5 decibles.

the longer the pipe after your muffler, the louder it gets, which is why most newer cars have the mufflers a few inches from the tailpipe. using a bend right after the muffler also quiets the system down.

you do not want to go with too large of a pipe either, if your car is N/A and around 100hp, you only need about 2" of pipe, even if it is a rev happy motor...and whatever you do, dont go with a small pipe, then get a 4" cat back fart cannon set up. going from small pipe to large pipe will change the frequency and help give it the ricer lawnmower sound.

the ideal set up for most 4cyl cars if you want decent performance, a low tone, and the engine to be somewhat quiet, is a long glass pack down the lenth of the car, with a borla super turbo muffler and a 12"+ tail pipe. that gives it louder than stock, but quiet enough to not draw cops, and as good and low a tone as available for a 4cyl. the bad news is, borlas are VERY expensive mufflers. the borla can be replaced with a generic louvered glasspack around 18" in lenth(they cost about 15% what a stainless borla costs), however it will be about 1 or 2 decibles louder, and it will not have as much performance gains do to the louvers creating more back pressure and slowing the exhaust velocity. louvered glasspacks as well as borlas also do well at helping get rid of the annoying back pops even fuel injected cars can creat on a decelerate from higher RPMs when using a manual transmission.

whatever you do, don't get a small resonator or glass pack, if its under 18", it will actually make the exhaust pitch higher, and give the ricer honda sound...

seen 2 Flowmasters rot out already.

Matybe its Washington's weather or both. not daily driven cars.

Maybe in California and arizona they last longer.

I have a feeling its mild steel inside and no aluminized as the other mufflers even of cheaper manufacture.

The Flowmaster is stout. but think its not coated in the inside.

They might make a stainless version now.

i bought the turbo II off ebay brand new 2 for $42 shipped one was a 2in inlet out let and one was a 2!/4 outlet so i feel i scored i rememberd running this muffler on my 2 door like 10 years ago and i liked it. i also have had a flow master and they sound like crap all hallow. i ran a 2 1/4 in pipe on my wagon with a magnaflow resinator and a magnaflow muffler and i liked that sound but it cost like 350 to do all of that

dyno max and thrush mufflers are chambered design. chamber design mufflers ussually have more back pressure and less exhaust velocity rate because in order to muffle the sound, they make the exhaust pass through little steel cut outs(like the flowmaster design), or they use multiple preforated pipes inside(the common performance turbo muffler).

they are often quieter than any straight-thru muffler, but the noise dampening comes at the cost of performance.

dynomax's sound fine, and a single dynomax super turbo can quiet your exhaust down as much as a long 24"+ glasspack and a borla will...however, if you use the appropriate sized pipe with the glasspack and borla combo, it will outflow the dynomax,flowmaster,magnaflow,ect exhausts with ease.

again, if you want deep tone without loosing performance, you have to pay for it...as most straight thru mufflers are expensive...and a glasspack without louvers will not quiet it down enough to keep your car or truck from being a cop magnet.

i bought the turbo II off ebay brand new 2 for $42 shipped one was a 2in inlet out let and one was a 2!/4 outlet so i feel i scored i rememberd running this muffler on my 2 door like 10 years ago and i liked it. i also have had a flow master and they sound like crap all hallow. i ran a 2 1/4 in pipe on my wagon with a magnaflow resinator and a magnaflow muffler and i liked that sound but it cost like 350 to do all of that

TurboII's are great for the price, I had two of these on my old 67 Dart GT project with a built 360 running 2 1/2 exhaust. Sounded great and best of all, 8ish years later, they sounded just as they did the first day I put them on.

From the video description "Z22 block, w58 head, L16 exhaust manifold, 2 1/4" exhaust into a 14" magnaflow, 40mm Mikunis untuned and not properly synced. Cold start/rev, exhaust rattles at low rpm. First day with it running"

really happy with the way it sounds, not technically an L20b :) but i figured it was close enough for this thread