Tonneau cover on 620?

sick620

Better yet, I've worked with this stuff its easy as hell to use and durable. With a glass coating this shit would be a good material to use.

http://www.schluterkerdiboard.com/

Here is some stuff that is used for the same purpose as kerdi board but instead of a cloth layer it is more of a fiber + epoxy type coating on either side of the foam.

http://www.wedi.co.uk/building-materials/boards/buildingboards-interior.php

Both can be had at tile retailers US wide.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was planning on cutting out sections of canvas that line up with the bed hooks. Then stitching the bungee cord material in the seam of the wax canvas. Hopefully that makes sense.

Hmm waxed canvas huh? that actually sounds like it would work really well. Get something to edge it real well so that the fabric doesnt fray and you're good to go.

On a side note, What are the dimensions of a 620 bed vs 521 bed? I have a true tonneau cover but it is about 2 inches too narrow for a 521 bed so the bed has been narrowed a bit with 2x2s attached to the inside of the rails.

oh i just remembered plastic wood decking!

TanDeck_Up_Close.jpg

thatd be cool and give it a wooden look... oh maybe thats better for the floor and 

if i remember that shit is a lil heavy. hmm maybe they make it in a big sheet as well

if you guys want to make a fiberglass tonneau cover:

materials:

2x4, unsure of the length or amount... whatever the distance around the bed is

plywood sheeting

fiberglass and resin

spray gelcoat

automotive wax

some bondo

step 1:

take that plywood sheeting and cut it into the the shape of the cover, giving enough room all the way around so that it coves the entire bed

step 2:

lay the 2x4 around the outline and nail/glue/fix the 2x4 to the plywood

(its important to do this with a nice flat sheet of plywood, the thicker the better to eliminate the wood warping)

step 3: fill in and smooth the inside where the plywood meets with the 2x4 with bondo, or other such material ( im a big fan of the fiberglass bondo.. its green)

cut a piece of carboard to the curve you want the corners to have and drag this around the inside to make it all uniform

allow all of this to dry, do any sanding or perfecting you want. This will be your mold for the tonneau

step 4:

spray gelcoat on the inside as evenly as possible,

let that dry

step 5:

coat the gelcoat with a uniform amount of automotive wax, make sure everything is covered with the wax that will have fiberglass on it

step 6:

lay your glass down and let it dry

cut and sand the edges to your ocd perfection, apply paint, hardware

enjoy

the nice thing about this method... you can make an infinite amount of tonneau covers

could you post photos of the cover itself and how it turned out?

• 3 weeks later...

It was on the truck when I got it so I don't know that much about it.  Someone said  Snug Top came out with these for the mini trucks back in the day so I guess it was a one size fits all kind of thing, it's not perfect it hangs over by about  3/16" on the sides and tailgate.

I even called them [snug Top] about it to run the serial number, but even they didn't have any record other than to say "that's a pretty old serial number".

I just thought I'd post it here since I've seen a few threads about tonneau covers and these never came up.

I even called them [snug Top] about it to run the serial number, but even they didn't have any record other than to say "that's a pretty old serial number".

Translation "We never kept track of that shit" :lol:

• 4 weeks later...