sick620

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i just took the flush mount from my s10 and cut it down to fit my 720

what surprised me is it was nothing more than 1" thick Styrofoam with fiberglass on both sides of it and trim pieces so it sits flush on the bed rails so i will for sure make my own for my 521 now that i see how easy it is

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the Mini trucks beds are the same size just different lips and rails. The one my blue truck is a Leer for an S10. And I also own a Leer for a Toyota, Both fit great, So look for a tonnue cover for a mini truck take measurements and go from there. Or PM Rick Rat from this site and have him ask Stacie where he got his or what it is,,,Rick works with him...

• 2 years later...

if you guys want to make a fiberglass tonneau cover:

materials:

2x4, unsure of the length or amount... whatever the distance around the bed is

plywood sheeting

fiberglass and resin

spray gelcoat

automotive wax

some bondo

step 1:

take that plywood sheeting and cut it into the the shape of the cover, giving enough room all the way around so that it coves the entire bed

step 2:

lay the 2x4 around the outline and nail/glue/fix the 2x4 to the plywood

(its important to do this with a nice flat sheet of plywood, the thicker the better to eliminate the wood warping)

step 3: fill in and smooth the inside where the plywood meets with the 2x4 with bondo, or other such material ( im a big fan of the fiberglass bondo.. its green)

cut a piece of carboard to the curve you want the corners to have and drag this around the inside to make it all uniform

allow all of this to dry, do any sanding or perfecting you want. This will be your mold for the tonneau

step 4:

spray gelcoat on the inside as evenly as possible,

let that dry

step 5:

coat the gelcoat with a uniform amount of automotive wax, make sure everything is covered with the wax that will have fiberglass on it

step 6:

lay your glass down and let it dry

cut and sand the edges to your ocd perfection, apply paint, hardware

enjoy

the nice thing about this method... you can make an infinite amount of tonneau covers

• Like 1

if you guys want to make a fiberglass tonneau cover:

materials:

2x4, unsure of the length or amount... whatever the distance around the bed is

plywood sheeting

fiberglass and resin

spray gelcoat

automotive wax

some bondo

step 1:

take that plywood sheeting and cut it into the the shape of the cover, giving enough room all the way around so that it coves the entire bed

step 2:

lay the 2x4 around the outline and nail/glue/fix the 2x4 to the plywood

(its important to do this with a nice flat sheet of plywood, the thicker the better to eliminate the wood warping)

step 3: fill in and smooth the inside where the plywood meets with the 2x4 with bondo, or other such material ( im a big fan of the fiberglass bondo.. its green)

cut a piece of carboard to the curve you want the corners to have and drag this around the inside to make it all uniform

allow all of this to dry, do any sanding or perfecting you want. This will be your mold for the tonneau

step 4:

spray gelcoat on the inside as evenly as possible,

let that dry

step 5:

coat the gelcoat with a uniform amount of automotive wax, make sure everything is covered with the wax that will have fiberglass on it

step 6:

lay your glass down and let it dry

cut and sand the edges to your ocd perfection, apply paint, hardware

enjoy

the nice thing about this method... you can make an infinite amount of tonneau covers

Do this and make copies!

They made a vinyl one as a dealer option I think. Like 3 pieces sewn together with some stretchy loops to go over the bed hooks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...