my datsun has balls

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about the rest of the world but before I bored a block out to .50 oversize I personaly would have researched the availability of pistons [you didn't mention these] and rings in that overbore. By the way, how about a head gasket that will take that bore oversize without the piston hitting the sealing ring? It starts as "tick tick tick" and progresses to a loud clatter.

Don't know about the rest of the world but before I bored a block out to .50 oversize I personaly would have researched the availability of pistons [you didn't mention these] and rings in that overbore. By the way, how about a head gasket that will take that bore oversize without the piston hitting the sealing ring? It starts as "tick tick tick" and progresses to a loud clatter.

i got pistons, i just ordered rings today. and a l20 head gasket will fit, with some trimming done

i mean my truck is going to hual ass when i get the engine back together duh!!!!!!!!

Sorry bro...I thought you were being funny. You were able to source pistons and a cam and not rings....and .050 is an odd oversize unless you meant .5 mm. Common piston and ring sized are .010 .030 .040 and .060. are the most common...just thought u wer jackin round...soowwee!

Sorry bro...I thought you were being funny. You were able to source pistons and a cam and not rings....and .050 is an odd oversize unless you meant .5 mm. Common piston and ring sized are .010 .030 .040 and .060. are the most common...just thought u wer jackin round...soowwee!

its all good ill try to post pics on sunday

• 3 weeks later...

They are really popular with in a certain town not too far from here. Usually on jacked up 4x4's owned by bored farm kids. After having a set dangling in front of my kids for 4 traffic lights I had to do some research. I don't have any interest in this product, I think they're a bit repulsive. It seemed fitting for the title of the thread is all.

Sorry to hijack the thread 1974datsun. How's that engine run?

They are really popular with in a certain town not too far from here. Usually on jacked up 4x4's owned by bored farm kids. After having a set dangling in front of my kids for 4 traffic lights I had to do some research. I don't have any interest in this product, I think they're a bit repulsive. It seemed fitting for the title of the thread is all.

it purrs like a kitten, has great acceleration

They are actually illegal here I think! You will get a ticket for that sack!

Look forward to your pics on this build man!

i need a tachometer and how long should i break the engine in before i can give it hell

Warm it up long enough to check for leaks and valve clearance, water and oil..... then drive it like the police are chasing you!!!

Do NOT drive at a steady speed, always be accelerating OR decelerating.

Do Not lug the motor in higher gears, use a lower gear, keep the revs up.

Try to keep above 2,000 do not exceed 5,000. (for now)

Find an open stretch of road without traffic. Use third or forth gear, depending on room, and start at around 3,000 RPM and floor it up to 4,500-5,000. Immediately let off and coast down to 2,500RPMs and repeat. It's important to decelerate all the way down, try not t use the brakes. If room doesn't allow, turn around and go back doing the same thing. Accelerate HARD 2,500 to 5,000 about 15 to 20 times should do it.

This will thrust the rings against the walls hard and take the high points of the cross hatch from the honing stone. On deceleration oil will be sucked up by cylinder vacuum and lube and flush away the debris. This is the best method for breaking in the rings and getting a super tight seal. Babying the motor will prolong the break in process and normal blow by will leave deposits and erode a path down the cylinder wall that stays for the life of the motor. Not saying the motor is no good, I'm saying that for peak sealing and top compression that lasts for the life of the engine, break it in fast and hard, make it WORK!

Use a cheap oil for the break in and change it and the filter after. Do NOT use synthetic oil for break in. After 500-1,000 miles change to synthetic if you wish.

Edited by datzenmike