I've been hit...

... by a 2004 Jetta. Yes, I was rear ended by someone not paying attention while I was leaving Clark College headed for Broadway Toyota. It was right beside Red Park (Fort Vancouver Main Library) around noon today. Bent the rollpan pretty good and the tailgate lacks that stock straightness. Neither of us were hurt and she almost imedietly took responsibility. Well, here go the pics.

How she faired:

0921091207.jpg

How I faired:

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

If anyone has got a rollpan for a 720, either Tan or black, that they could let go that would be great. I wouldnt say no to a tailgate either, tan only.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She went through the insurance before I had the chance to call her and try to get her to pay cash. I'm hoping that they don't total the truck, since they have my vehicle valued so low. I really don't know what I'm gonna do. I already got a quote from a body shop I like and its for 1100.

In Washington the other insurance company CAN decide whether to total or not. You can always refuse, but they can then refuse to pay. But usually you can negotiate. The insurance company is required to submit paperwork to the State for any monies payed out, with VIN, and whether or not they declared it totalled. When the amount exceeds the vehicle value, it almost always triggers a "totalled" flag. Which is a whole new hassle and expense to the owner. If they DO declare it totalled, DEMAND extra money because it costs a couple hundred in inspections, fees, new plates (and you don't get anything off for your current registration- that becomes instantly void), and of course your time.

Hopefully the insurance company doesn't get snotty about the lack of a rear bumper, because they have that right. Legally it's required.

Edited by datsunaholic

Hopefully the insurance company doesn't get snotty about the lack of a rear bumper, because they have that right. Legally it's required.

i dont know about washington but in cali its not required to have a rear bumper only the front is required (which is funny cause i have my rear and no front lol)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that those vehicles in a base model, some of them didn't come with a bumper and that is the stock roll pan.

Maybe... I do remember when my Mom was looking at Mazda B2200s in the late 80s that they wouldn't let one out the door without adding a bumper unless you signed a waiver styating you were going to install your own bumper. Most of the trucks in the lot didn't have them. She ended up not buying one anyway.

I have searched the interwebs for specific laws and all I find are anecdotal evidence, in both directions, particularly forums where folks got ticketed for having no rear bumper on pickups. Answers ranging from "Need one" "Need a legal roll pan with plate illumination" to "trucks don't need anything".

I did find where it is stated that pickups don't need a rear bumper in California (per the 1975 law, qouted by the LA Times in 1990) so it seems that it's up to the States.

EDIT...

OK, I found the Washington law:

RCW 46.37.513

Bumpers.

When any motor vehicle was originally equipped with bumpers or any other collision energy absorption or attenuation system, that system shall be maintained in good operational condition, and no person shall remove or disconnect, and no owner shall cause or knowingly permit the removal or disconnection of, any part of that system except temporarily in order to make repairs, replacements, or adjustments.

[1977 ex.s. c 355

Edited by datsunaholic
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that those vehicles in a base model, some of them didn't come with a bumper and that is the stock roll pan.

Maybe... I do remember when my Mom was looking at Mazda B2200s in the late 80s that they wouldn't let one out the door without adding a bumper unless you signed a waiver styating you were going to install your own bumper. Most of the trucks in the lot didn't have them. She ended up not buying one anyway.

I have searched the interwebs for specific laws and all I find are anecdotal evidence, in both directions, particularly forums where folks got ticketed for having no rear bumper on pickups. Answers ranging from "Need one" "Need a legal roll pan with plate illumination" to "trucks don't need anything".

I did find where it is stated that pickups don't need a rear bumper in California (per the 1975 law, qouted by the LA Times in 1990) so it seems that it's up to the States.

EDIT...

OK, I found the Washington law:

RCW 46.37.513

Bumpers.

When any motor vehicle was originally equipped with bumpers or any other collision energy absorption or attenuation system, that system shall be maintained in good operational condition, and no person shall remove or disconnect, and no owner shall cause or knowingly permit the removal or disconnection of, any part of that system except temporarily in order to make repairs, replacements, or adjustments.

[1977 ex.s. c 355

Hmmmm...

I was never pulled over for not having a rear bumper and the one time i was pulled over the officer didn't say anything about not having it. Then again he didn't say anything about the front plate in the window.

Anyways, talked to my agent yeaterday. Basically either I can take it somewhere and have her insurance pay for it, or I can have a estimator come out, give me a estimate and a check, and I can do what I want with it. Either way I'm coming out of this with a salvaged title all becuase she decided to put up a claim.

Hmmmm...

I was never pulled over for not having a rear bumper and the one time i was pulled over the officer didn't say anything about not having it. Then again he didn't say anything about the front plate in the window.

Anyways, talked to my agent yeaterday. Basically either I can take it somewhere and have her insurance pay for it, or I can have a estimator come out, give me a estimate and a check, and I can do what I want with it. Either way I'm coming out of this with a salvaged title all becuase she decided to put up a claim.

The whole idea of "restitution" is to put you in the same place /condition you were in before the accident, not in a lesser position. A salvage title dramatically lowers the value of your truck no matter how well it has been repaired! Get a trade-in value from the Kelly Blue Book and ask a dealer to give you a trade in value with the salvage title, if he can stop laughing. Go thru small claims court for the difference in value caused by the accident and not covered by the insurance payout/repair. Serve the summons on both the driver and the insurance agent who handled your claim.

The whole idea of "restitution" is to put you in the same place /condition you were in before the accident, not in a lesser position. A salvage title dramatically lowers the value of your truck no matter how well it has been repaired! Get a trade-in value from the Kelly Blue Book and ask a dealer to give you a trade in value with the salvage title, if he can stop laughing. Go thru small claims court for the difference in value caused by the accident and not covered by the insurance payout/repair. Serve the summons on both the driver and the insurance agent who handled your claim.

I agree.

In addition you can contact you state insurance commissioners office and report the agency. They will investigate and or help resolve the issue. Here is the website... http://www.insurance.wa.gov/

The sum point in my opinion is you can't sit on your butt. Obviously her insurance agency is going to do everything they can to give you as little as possible, while still raising her premium no doubt. That's how piece of shit insurance agencies make money. You have to make it worth more to them to pay you proper then to face the consequences if they don't.

Edited by 72240z
  • 4 weeks later...