L Motor Electric Fan Water Pump Mod

Charlie69

Awesome writeup!!! And to think that I was trying to throw away a brand new clutch type water pumps away!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep Mike the S12 is an awesome temp sensor! remember red bad white good. The red switches at 205ish the white at 185ish.

IMG_0427.JPG

Jeff, can you clarify this? Are there two different S12 sensors? And they are color coded? Pretty sure this is what you mean.:D

Or are you talking that they are a two stage switch and each of the two wires are switched at different temps?

• Like 1
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the water pumps I have checked online at rock auto do not have the clutch on for the 280, 260, & 240z, zx, & 2+2.

Datzenmike or steriod I believe know of a certain model that does have the clutch on it but I believe that you have to change crank pulley and alternator spacing to line up the belt.

• 1 month later...

Not to thread jack but I found a 80 720 and yanked off the water pump and front pulley that bolts on.Then crossed the part numbers and got one from Orielly it was 19.99 and the pulley was 10.00 bucks a junkyard.No cutting all the pulleys lined up and it fell into place.Ill post pics tonight.

• Like 1

Cool, post up some pictures, measurements, part #'s, and description of other vehicles that this crosses to. Was this off a truck with standard transmission and no AC? All of the clutchless water pumps I came up with had longer shafts with deeper pullies.

That is what this thread is for INFO, you are not thread jacking in my opinion.

Thanks for the post waiting for more info.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Adding a little to Charlie's how-to. I just did this job, but took a slightly different approach. I noticed when I had unscrewed and removed the front of the clutch that the whole back half is pressed on to the shaft, then the end of the shaft is flared out to hold everything in place snugly. I made a few relief cuts and then pressed the clutch off the shaft.

20160815_211432_zpsuu56gbqe.jpg

The tip of my puller was too big to press down through the center of the clutch, so I put a socket in under it. That worked fine.

20160815_211452_zpsvm5gxsqx.jpg

In this one you can clearly see the relief cuts I cut into this, hoping it would allow the flare to collapse more easily. It worked out great. Little effort and not much time invested.

20160815_211519_zpssqhnzcqj.jpg

Then I cut off a large chunk of the shaft with a cut off wheel on my grinder and then finished the edges and top off some with my dremel and a sanding drum.

20160815_211850_zpsndo2fupw.jpg

20160815_212115_zps153twcc1.jpg

20160815_212122_zpstbwfwyyw.jpg

• Like 1

I had a friend do this mod to his 510 and for added assurance he put a couple tack welds on the pulley to the shaft.  He has been running this way for about 5 years now. 

Lock Leaf at the time I did this I do not believe I had a puller available.  Nice to know it can be done that way, less mess.

• Like 1

Great write up Lockleaf and keep up the good work.  Lockleaf this might be a great place to start a thread on different wiring scenarios.  I know you are getting heavily into wiring as you have reached out to help me and I thank you.  If you would like I will even redraw them up for you like I did the one you helped me with.