Transmission Rebuild

JustinB

So... I'm totally clueless as to how to re-build a transmission, but mine's whining pretty damned loudly so I want to try it. I have a 1979 210 wagon, both A14 and A15 engines, a dogleg 5sp tranny out of a 200sx (I think) that even though it was built for an L series, for some reason somebody got it in there with the A14 (pretty tired, and about to go soon in favor of the 15). So... what I'm going to to is swap engines and then try the tranny re-build but I was wondering if anyone has ever done this before, and if you guys know of any good books and where to buy a rebuild kit. Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy my kits at Transmission Exchange in Portland. They are much cheaper than the parts stores. The kits come with an exploded view and they sell manuals there. I think you'll want to double check what transmission you have. I'm not aware of a way to get an L-series (200sx) to mate to an A-series engine.

I am in the process of putting my dog leg back in my wagon.

If you are very mechanically inclined and have access to presses and pullers, inside and outside snap ring pliers, and you are patient, then try it.

I got the Dime Quarterly issue that gives a step by step for the rebuild, and I got a 200SX service manual.

It is not an easy task! The hardest part is getting all the bearings pressed off and then the new ones back on, and then re assembling it all correctly.

I enlisted the help of my buddy who has his own shop with all the good tools. We worked 8 hours straight on it to get it to the point that I could just put it all back into the cases. (which is tricky also)

My only recommendations are to follow the directions very carefully, study the parts schematic and take your time. When you disassemble the gears, synchro's, hubs, shafts, bearings and snap rings, lay them out in order that they came out, and pay attention to which thrust washer goes where, and to its position. Also, do NOT test the shifting until AFTER you get the front cover bolted back into the front case. Don't ask why I know this.

Hope this helps. If I can answer any other questions I will try.

So... I'm totally clueless as to how to re-build a transmission, but mine's whining pretty damned loudly so I want to try it. I have a 1979 210 wagon, both A14 and A15 engines, a dogleg 5sp tranny out of a 200sx (I think) that even though it was built for an L series, for some reason somebody got it in there with the A14 (pretty tired, and about to go soon in favor of the 15). So... what I'm going to to is swap engines and then try the tranny re-build but I was wondering if anyone has ever done this before, and if you guys know of any good books and where to buy a rebuild kit. Thanks.

I bought my rebuild kit and most of my auto parts on ebay because i have this trusted seller near our place. He sells it cheap.. And as for the swapping and rebuilding you will make.. Good luck pal! :)

The dogleg can't be from a 200sx... they use an FS5W63 the 210 uses an FS5W60L (or FS5W60A after Nov '79) 5spd. Two completely different motors. When you have the motor out, test fit the tranny. Don't buy a rebuild kit until you identify the tranny!

I've been lazy (or too busy) lately and haven't gotten anything pulled. One problem I've run into is this is the only car that's drivable right now so I can't have it all ripped apart for a few days.

Still don't know for sure what trans is in there. I was going on what the guy who sold it to me said, but everyone says there's no way to put a 200sx trans on an A14 motor, so.... I don't know what the hell. I'll get this moving again when/if I have another car working that I can use when I tear this puppy apart.

Kinda makes me sad cause I don't want to bother with the cosmetics till I get it running tip-top... and it's kinda ugly. :)

Anyway, I appreciate the offers for help and information. Anyone who lives in the Portland, OR area who wants to get in touch with me, drop me a line and I can swing by. I'm out there every week.

Okay, so I found a guy, been in business for since before my car was built, says he'll rebuild the tranny for 600 if he has to pull it, and less if I just take it in. Good deal? I don't know what this should cost. Compared to having a new AT rebuilt, it's obviously cheap, but I imagine this old manual is a lot simpler, so.... anyone know anybody that does old MT's for cheaper?

Only a dogleg with the mounting bolt pattern for an A series engine will fit. There was a 5 spd. dogleg available on 210, possibly only with the A15 motor. (just not the same one used on the 200sx) The dogleg used up to '80 for the A series motor is an FS5W60L. After '80 an FS5W60A tranny was used. I don't know if this was a regular or dogleg pattern but they look similar and they are 5 spds.

Here is a picture of an '81 FS5W60A from a 210:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transFS5W60A81210-1.jpg[/img]"]transFS5W60A81210-1.jpg

I spent a week ago Monday being intimate with my 63 series dogleg. It broke day one of the Runoffs week and I had to repair it in the paddock, so things are pretty fresh in my mind.

The 1978 B210GX with the A14 engine and 5 speed had a FS5W63A dogleg transmission. It is the same transmission except for the forward case and input shaft as the '77-'78 200SX and '78-'81 HL510 doglegs.

The front cases are different depending on the engine, A14, L20B or Z20. The input shaft is different for the A14 engine but the others are the same. The A14 uses a smaller pilot bushing.

If you have an A14 connected to a dogleg transmission, the 60 series has a "60" on the case and the drain plug screws in parallel to the ground with a square projection to put a wrench on to remove it. The 63 dogleg has a "63A" on the case and the drain plug points at the ground with an internal square that takes a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar to remove.

Also, the 63 has the clutch slave on the right side, the 60 is on the left. The "60" has a right/top location for the clutch fork as well, this is for a RHD cable clutch opperation to the best of my knowledge. The left side slave location transmissions have a raised oblong section in the RHD fork location and a drilled boss on the bell housing flange for the cable.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Dime Dave
More info

Here you can see the "60" located on right side of the front case on both the FS5W60A or L transmission also note the position and location of the drain plug, down is a standard pattern (60A), back is a dogleg (60L). The upper arrow on the lower photo is the nut that holds the dogleg shift linkage inside the tailshaft housing. This linkage is not used in the standard shift pattern transmission.

13616.jpg