leaking coolant

smokeybear

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey all, i am leaking coolant where the head and the block meet, directly above the line that runs to the heater core on the passenger side of the block. i am not sure if it is a headgasket or cracked water jacket. any and all help is very much appreciated.

There is an elbow that supplies water for the heater coming out near the back of the head on the passenger side. Make sure that the elbow, clamp and hose are good as it will leak and run down the head and along the head/block surface. Also check the return hose that runs along the passenger side to the block above the starter and connects to the lower rad hose. When the engine is reved up the pressure from the water pump will push water out any small hole and spray up onto the head/ block area but won't show when idleing. Is it possible that coolant is leaking from a rad hose or rad and being blown onto the front of the head and just finding it's way around to the passenger side?

i know what hose your talking about, but it is literally spraying from the crack where the head meets the block. ill double check it and make sure that what you mentioned isn't a possibility though, thanks guys and keep any other possible suggestions coming. another quick question, if it is a headgasket, how much of a PITA is it?? ive done everything on a car but that and really not looking forward to dicking with timing and what not.

If you've done everything but this, then you have the skills to do it. But who would want to right?

I ignored the manual on my second one. Leave the intake and exhaust on the head when you remove it. It's awkward but saves time, bother, swearing, gasket and knuckles.

Time the motor to TDC and make a wedge to lock the timing chain between the guides. This will keep the chain tight and prevent the tensioner from falling out. Do NOT turn the motor over while doing the head!!!!!

Check the head for warpage. Look carefully between the cylinders for low spots. If you don't you can do it when it blows again in about a week.

• 1 month later...

I had the same thing happen right before the HG blew. I would try all the things mentioned here first, but I didn't know what to look for when it happened.(new to other forum) got it all back together though.(oh and yes, I also left the headers and intake on, made it much quicker)

News flash!!! My head gasket just blew in the same spot! Right under the heater outlet. Managed to get home on it. There was a crack in the gasket from #4 through the water jacket and out to the outside. Hot water was spitting out the side of the block and steam coming out the exhaust. The stesm cleaned the piston and head at #4.

Cost to fix: gasket $23 hose clamps (small, not used) $1.50 . On assembly I corrected chain stretch (if any) and it runs better than before (300,000 Km)

• 2 weeks later...
hey all, i am leaking coolant where the head and the block meet, directly above the line that runs to the heater core on the passenger side of the block. i am not sure if it is a headgasket or cracked water jacket. any and all help is very much appreciated.

I am in the process of fixing this problem now(on the exact truck). The head gasket was blown. It will be back together tomorrow hopefully.