3yrs and waiting 620

good morning fellow datsun enthusiasts this morning was a breakthru in my project car, or should i say 620 pick up.

alright so ill start from the beginning.

so about 3 months ago a bought a 79 620 i had seen it sitting in an ally for about 2 years since i moved in with my grandma after high school. the truck always intrigued me as my first car was 71 pl521. anyways one day i saw a for sale sign and called up the owner. $200 later it was in my driveway with 3 flat tires, no carb, dirty gas, no battery, and more rust then paint. so weeks go by deal with the rust on the cab clean up the engine bay (was sitting under a pine tree for more then 3 years...) new tires, and throw on a carb he still had. then last night i drained the gas tank via 12mm bolt and biked with my 10L jerrycan to the nearest gas station, came back flushed the fuel line (new fuel pump) and replaced the fuel filter. she wouldn't start.now see i live in condos and my neighbors hate me because there all old folks so i didn't want to keep trying to fire up this 30 yr old engine; that had been sitting for 3 years, at 10:30 at night. so this morning at 7:30 i awoke for work and said if it starts, it starts. If not well w/e it should start so i took the air filter off and poured fuel down the carb and turned her over and she fired and died and i thought "again" so again i poured gas down and let it idle after 5 mins she was running smooth no muffler but when she warmed up i gave it some peddle and no smoke... and a very small tick. I new this engine was tough but s**t what a good morning. anyways 30yrs old, parked 3 years minimum, fired up and ran great 7:53 am mountain standard time sept 12 /09

thanks for reading, and hope you have fun and good luck with all your projects

jesse

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good morning fellow datsun enthusiasts this morning was a breakthru in my project car, or should i say 620 pick up.

so about 3 months ago a bought a 79 620 i had seen it sitting in an ally for about 2 years since i moved in with my grandma after high school. the truck always intrigued me as my first car was 71 pl521. anyways one day i saw a for sale sign and called up the owner. $200 later it was in my driveway with 3 flat tires, no carb, dirty gas, no battery, and more rust then paint. so weeks go by deal with the rust on the cab clean up the engine bay (was sitting under a pine tree for more then 3 years...) new tires, and throw on a carb he still had. then last night i drained the gas tank via 12mm bolt and biked with my 10L jerrycan to the nearest gas station, came back flushed the fuel line (new fuel pump) and replaced the fuel filter. she wouldn't start.now see i live in condos and my neighbors hate me because there all old folks so i didn't want to keep trying to fire up this 30 yr old engine; that had been sitting for 3 years, at 10:30 at night. so this morning at 7:30 i awoke for work and said if it starts, it starts. If not well w/e it should start so i took the air filter off and poured fuel down the carb and turned her over and she fired and died and i thought "again" so again i poured gas down and let it idle after 5 mins she was running smooth no muffler but when she warmed up i gave it some peddle and no smoke... and a very small tick. I new this engine was tough but s**t what a good morning. anyways 30yrs old, parked 3 years minimum, fired up and ran great 7:53 am mountain standard time sept 12 /09

jesse

I am glad to hear your story , I love my 620 . But I want to see pictures of it please

posted 2 quick pictures in album will have more later. cant figure out how to post pics in threads...

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu323/jessejames620/17hoodandwiperpannelprimedandinplac.jpg[/img]"]17hoodandwiperpannelprimedandinplac.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu323/jessejames620/31roofandFPQPprimed2.jpg[/img]"]31roofandFPQPprimed2.jpg

Edited by datzenmike

jesse

its always great to finally hear iit run for the first time especiall after it sat for such along time

No boubt! Congrats man! What a feeling. My 521 had sat for 10 freaking years before I bought it. Put a new fuel pump on there, cleaned the points, and it fired up! I was on cloud nine that night for sure!