The 240Z is finally getting some power.

MAG58

I'm sure this will end up on HBZ eventually, but I'm lazy and this car is definitely have ratsun budget written all over it by the time I'm done.

Well anyways, my current Z has an L28 which is slightly warmed over with a 260 cam and DGV's. It's great and all for cruising and playing with them hawn-duhs, but as all things go, I just cant leave well enough alone. For those of you playing at home, I've put my DOHC L28 project on hold (please don't kill me) in lieu of a C36 AMG M104 stroker build. Last saturday I got a smokn' deal on the bottom end with the 350SDL crank and 89mm block so officially it has begun. For those of you that know me, I'm kinda sorta obcessed with this motor so I'm pretty excited to see what all this little beastie can accomplish. Picture forthcoming, but as of know I can tell you that it should fit, it's even a little shorter and the only two hurdles I have right now are clearing the front sump and finding a transmission. Right now I've got everything else but crank and rods (and figuring out which terbeaux I'm gonna stuff in it) so as soon as I'm daring enough to use a Mini as a DD, the Z should be getting gutted like a fish in preparation for it's new, german power plant.

Any input is welcome and here's a quick list of the specs:

Engine weight :441Lbs

Twin cam, unkown bank angle (wider than an RB)

Direct acting cam, Valve Dia 35/32mm

Bore/Stroke 89(will blow it out to 91 if I want the full 3.6 may keep it 3.4 and change for the sake of cylinder walls)/92.4

Fully factory forged crank and rods, pressure fed pin oiling and piston squirters.

And I've also now got two heads, the older design and the newer (94-97) design so I can see which one flows better, though it's rumored the older ones had bigger valves, so we'll get that figured out.

Thanks all,

Bob

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh NOES!

Anywho, Pics as requested. The head's all wrapped up so I'll just use my M104 to L series head comparo pics... It's the same head anyway.

First off, the block. M104.981ish 3.0L Engine Block

DSCN4073.jpg

Moar...

DSCN4074.jpg

Front of block:

DSCN4076.jpg

350SDL "Diesel" crank (Now not just limited to L series fun for strokers!)

DSCN4075.jpg

As a side note, the block has over 150k on it and the bores are still within a thou of origional specs, there are no ring marks at the top and you can still see the factory cross-hatch. The crank has something on the order of a bunch more and still plasti-gauged at .002 on all the mains, using USED main bearings(only to check clearances). I love german motors.

The Head!

Intake side:

DSCN0108.jpg

Exhaust Side:

DSCN0104.jpg

CC's

DSCN0109.jpg

Anyway, sorry if you don't like absurd amounts of pics in detail, I'm kinda anal about logging everything. More updates in a few weeks, block's going to get hot-tanked and I'm on the search for 280CE rods and forged pistons.

I'd also just like to thank the fine gentlemen at 190Rev.net for helping me out with all the technical on this project. They are a very informative bunch of individuals and a great site overall. If you guys pick up a baby benz, they've got you covered.

Edited by MAG58