L28ET running super rich

240ADAM

So I have L28 turbo with Z31 computer and a ka throttle body. Its run pretty rich since the get go when I rebuilt it and dropped it in my S30. I put a new 02 sensor on and its still puffin some major black smoke, shitty gas milage too. Any way to lean it out? Ideas?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have a MAS on it from the Z31 and yes stock injectors. It really blows black in the morning, but thats probly cause its cold. When I pull up to a light or something I see a cloud of black smoke go past me and while driving i just smell the richness. I also dont have any extras on my intake manifold I stripped it bare.

I would suspect that the injectors for a vg30et are larger than those for a L28et, SO if the computer thinks it is running the larger injectors and triggering them at the duty cycle appropriate for the larger injectors when running a smaller injector, you'd have a very rich condition. :D Make sense?

I don't think it makes sense. If a car needs x grams of fuel/cyl to maintain stoic, it would throw out a duty cycle of xx to do that with it's stock injectors. However, when you move to a smaller injector your duty cycle would go up, however it would still be firing the duty cycle for the larger injectors, giving it a lean run condition?

^^^ I was going to say the same thing :rolleyes:

As already mentioned, I'd check the coolant temp sensor (or cylinder head temp sensor). Fuel enrichment also reads the air temp sensor.

What is your fuel pressure at idle? Is it higher than 36 psi with the vacuum reference unplugged?

Dirty connections causing extra resistance at the MAF(MAS? I'm not too familiar with the Z31)

Is the throttle position sensor set correctly?

You probably already checked for a dirty air filter...that's all I can think of right now.

[Edit: Plus, you'd think that using an ECU (& injectors) for a 3 liter in a 2.8 would make it run ~7% richer, but that's not much]

Edited by hughdogz

You could look up what makes a Z31 run rich. I think they always talk about the CHTS going bad but I don't hear that on the 280ZX so much.

Check the plug and clean it good on the Cylinder Head Temp Sensor.

Also, those MAS sensors don't always work good. I have two actually. I'm not looking to sell them but maybe I can stop by with them sometime and we can plug them in just to see if you notice an immediate results.

• 2 weeks later...

Clean the MAF and run the coolant temp sensor for the 92-95 nissan pathfinder. Its the correct OHM rating for the factory CHTS that the 84-87 ECU's look for. Any of the later ECU's could care less about the CHTS. Also, if you haven't already; try using the blow through setup by putting the MAF after the turbo for a much better and responsive setup. peace.

Edited by nismopu

Hey, do you have a write up on your L28ET swap into your S30 ? I'm going to be doing the same thing this winter, have all the bits, ECU, etc, just wondering about some of the wiring ?

Cheers