I like the stock look

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As everyone is already tired of hearing me gush about my "Ol Yeller", let me chime in with my OLD MAN rant and rave..I too like the stock look and am not a fan of the overly done truck..having said that though I can however tell you that I do understand and appreciate the time and effort it takes to modify a vehicle..(the correct way)..now then please excuse me for not havin the bed hooks on mine..they were gone when I got the body...I do have the front cranked down 2 inches or so..(that is my homageto the "raked look of my youth)..I did have the very stock tires and wheels and hubcaps for a couple of years but could not pass up the period correct slot mags I now have..(the white spoke wheels are also period correct...anyway, nuff said) I too like your yellow truck..(what colr yellow is that?....mine is 2003 Audi?volkswagen yellow)...peace................Ron

http://s114.photobucket

Now, that's the kind of brush guard I've been looking for my 4X4s, except I'd want it in black. My '78 4X4 has nothing (just the reciever hitch for the winch I don't have) and my '76 has some cheap chrome thing that looks like a handrail.

http://64.125.210.117/datsun/76-4X4-18.JPG

My B&D lawn mower handle is sturdier than that.

DSCF0302.jpg

It depends on the truck i guess...

Nice! Rims are a bit much (no offence) but the fantastic body shape, and color, helps to draw attention away from them. Also the squat is just right and not too low. The missing cargo hooks really cleans up the lines doesn't it? I would have to say, now, if you don't use 'em, loose 'em.

I bought my truck for $1,955.00 in 1973 if I remember right. I have put 264K miles on it. It would have been a lot more but I retired it from construction work. I'm a carpenter and beat the crap outta it as my work truck for about ten years. It had lumber racks on it and when it started to get tired, I put plywood up against the racks, parked it on my job sites as my dump truck.

About '92 or so, it sat rotting in the rain for a couple winters with electrical gremlins, tired engine, no brakes. I decided to get it running, put the camper shell on it and have a clean little runner to tow my motorcycle for track days. I painted it with three coats of marine enamel that cost 20 bucks a gallon. (big mistake). I pulled the engine and rebuilt it. The truck was still totally stock.

I drove a stock truck, looked at a stock truck and lived with a stock truck. all the little idiosyncrasies and character flaws finally got to me after thirty plus years.

If I had a nickel for every time I ripped the back of my fingers on the bed hooks washing or waxing it, I could buy enough beer to drown my sorrows. I have torn belt hooks off my jeans more times that I ever used the hooks to tie any thing down... which was never. I always hated the handles on the tailgate. I could lock the camper shell, but if someone wanted to think about it, they could just pop open the tailgate. So, after all this time I just hacked off the hooks and the handles. I have to say that the truck looks way cleaner. The hooks and handles break up the otherwise clean lines of the 620.

I could have shaved the side marker lights and all kinds of other stuff, but it can freakin' rain in this part of the country and you need to be seen at night on the freeway. For me it's not about a custom look but just functionality. After driving it for all these years, I think I have an idea about how I want it to work. Looks are just icing on the cake.

owww my fingers hurt in memory of that....

Also, I know it's convienent to tie off to the hooks, but I can't count how many bed rails I've seen warped from using them for that. Really makes it hard to find a straight bed.. Thanks to Ted I finally got a nice and straight bed :D

Just french the markers, it's really easy. You just need to buy new screws (I think they were m8 x 1-1/2 inch long) and nuts. Make sure to size the new screws with one of the rear light assemblies as the front assemblies are thinner. Take of the light assembly and put it behind the fender or bed at the hole. Then use the new screws and nuts and your done. Looks clean and still lights up :D

....fawk stock....

:D

In Canada around '67ish? car makers started putting side marker lights on their products. Chrysler/Dodge had these really neat chrome bull's eye ones with amber or red centers that I liked a lot. The Firebird had a bird shape that lit up red if I remember right, and others. My '68 510 had these long narrow tasteful amber ones on the front. But sadly, eventually they had to be made a minimum size and after that more or less the same shape, too bad

I happened to use my bed hooks today and was happy to have them. But i am sure that i will really swear at them next time i wash it and skin a knuckle on them, and it sure would be nice if the bed was not that little bit warped from people using them for the last 30 years. I did however shave them from my first 620 back in 1988.

Changing the look of the side markers can also be done with the lense on the outside of the body, and mount the rubber housing that held the lense to the inside of the fender. Dont need longer screws or anything. Even hides most of the paint discoloring. Make a new little gasket out of innertube to go between the lense and the body.

Jason